In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Which Press? RCBS partner or Lee Classic

salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
I have been slowly aquiring all of the necessary componenets to get into reloading.
Rather than buying a kit, Ive been picking pieces up here and there, some used some new.
I am at the point now where I have to start thinking about getting a press.
The store down the block has a RCBS partner press, and a a LEE classic press, for about the same monney.
I checked out info on line, seems their might be issues with the Partner-says it handles "most" calibers, some complain about the opening being too small-but most of the reviews were good. The Lee, on the other hand, is a full size press. Ive read great things about it, but I also know it is not a rockchucker.
My situation- I will probably be lucky if I load 200 rounds a year- My shooting now is basically a couple of days at the range a year, and going through a box of shells per gun during hunting season.
I will be reloading .243, 3030,3006, 35 remington, 358 winchester, 444 marlin. I am concerned about the 444 marlin, being that the case is larger than the 3006, and a few complaints about the RCBS I read was that it couldnt handle a case largerer than an 06 case-then their were others who said it could.
Any opinions, suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    Not to start a pissing contest, I have had great luck with My classic cast. The Rock chucker was its equal, except for the fact it shot used primers all over. I would pass on any of the lesser RCBS presses, as it seemed to me that they took more force to cycle.
  • Options
    dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1
    Richbug is right.

I like my RockChucker - picked up on an auction site for $40.
  • Options
    PSFD DONKEYPSFD DONKEY Member Posts: 771 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would definately check out the auction sites, I have been using a couple of Lee Challenger presses bought of an auction site real cheap. I know that the Challenger press is by no means top of the line but it works for all my hunting and playing loads. ( .454 Casull, .308, .30-06, .338 win.mag )
  • Options
    chunkstylechunkstyle Member Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I do like my Lee Classic, got it new for $65. But you can get better deals on used equipment, try local gunshows.
  • Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,242 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have been using a Lee press for 20+ years with no problems,but one of my buddies bought a new Lee cast iron and I see one in my future.
  • Options
    bperdue21bperdue21 Member Posts: 1,457 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i would look for a used rock chucker myself. between fleabay and gb and aa you should be able to find one on the cheap.
  • Options
    PJPJ Member Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I recently broke my Challenger (don't ask!) and replaced it with a Classic. So far, I am a happy camper.
    Pete