In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Green Machine -rnd 1 - hopefully the last one

Returned the 2nd Lyman DPS II for the RCBS chargemaster combo.

I can see already this one will be a pleasure to clean the powder out of....VERY easy.

Will post results as the week goes on.

Comments

• Options
    dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1
    Well, cleanup is very easy. RCBS got that right.

Still not sure on the accuracy.

Honestly, am I asking too much of a $300 dispenser to be dead on accurate, every time?

So far, it is the best, but will throw over and under charges.
  • Options
    ContacFrontContacFront Member Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dcloco,

What kind of results are you getting?

Mine has been flawless out of the box. I mean drops dead nuts 99% of the time .1 or -.1 gn.

Most of the time its on the money.

What powder are you throwing?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I started throwing H4198. I have some Accurate 2230-C ball powder I will try tonight or tomorrow.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Tonight, Accurate 2230-C. I threw ten practice rounds, at varying weights from 10 gr to 65 gr.

Then, I threw 30 rounds for my 223. 23.4 grains to 25.0. UGH! ARGH!

Thing is all over the place. Yes, the electronic scale indicates 24.2, but what is in the pan, could be 24.1 or 24.35.

I give. No more electronic dispensors. Will be taking this back to get my fun tickets back.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What are you using to check the weight?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Two other balance beam scales. RCBS 505 and a Hornady.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    DCLOCO,

Use those scales to weigh your check calibration weights. See if they read the same as your RCBS.

My RCBS did not read the same as my 505 either.

My 505 was low.

As long as your RCBS is dropping consistant charges, meaning it is dropping the same amount each time then it is all good.

For example your favorite load using your trusty 505 and a trickler was 44.5gn of Varget in your 308. Now it may be 44.8gn of Varget according to your RCBS, as long as its dropping 44.8 each time who cares?

Get it?
  • Options
    knucklehead14knucklehead14 Member Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It sounds to me like you need to stay using a beam scale.
    You have talked down about the quality of Lyman and RCBS which both are top of the line right now, The only difference is ,Do you like grey or green. Come to find out the problem is user error.
    Jeez!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Knucklehead,

I don't think its really user error on DCLOCO's part. And Lyman and RCBS is not TOP OF THE LINE, they may be decent for the price range we are willing to be in but no where even close to the super high end stuff. I've seen scales that cost more than both systems combined.

DCLOCO,

Are you loading in a garage? What type of table? Remember you are using sensitive electronics now and your enviroment can effect these machines.

I found out my PACT did not like the lighting I had in my garage a while back. Since that system uses IR to communicate between scale and drop the light was messing with the signal so I would always get screwed up readings or inconsistant charges.

Are you calibrating each time you use it?

Try switching from to the metal pan off your 505. I hate that lil plastic pan that came with my 1500.

Have you tried calling RCBS?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by knucklehead14
    It sounds to me like you need to stay using a beam scale.
    You have talked down about the quality of Lyman and RCBS which both are top of the line right now, The only difference is ,Do you like grey or green. Come to find out the problem is user error.
    Jeez!

I have NEVER said brand X or Y is bad. READ what I wrote. This has been MY experience with two of brand X and one of brand Y. I posted on this board in the hope that people on this forum could share their expertise or experience and help ME through the problem.

I realize that you only know me from looking at the monitor....but...

Technical problem identification and solving is what I do for a living. From high end computers, electronics, fiber optics, infared, HIGH voltage (high voltage - transmission lines - NOT going to your house either), electro mechanical devices, mechanical devices, large engines (6400 horsepower), etc, etc.

Definitely NOT saying that I overlooked something....I am the FIRST person to go BACK TO THE BASICS and look at the HISTORY, before I condemn something.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ContacFront
    Knucklehead,

DCLOCO,

Are you loading in a garage? What type of table? Remember you are using sensitive electronics now and your enviroment can effect these machines. Loading on non formal dining table. Heavy oak table.

I found out my PACT did not like the lighting I had in my garage a while back. Since that system uses IR to communicate between scale and drop the light was messing with the signal so I would always get screwed up readings or inconsistant charges. One 75 watt bulb, off of a different circuit. I even used a heavy extension cord, 10 gauge, from my garage, off of a stand alone circuit (the resistance of the 10 gauge cord will help even out any spikes in the circuit, due to the resistance of the 100 foot cord). My wife thought I was completely nuts.

Are you calibrating each time you use it? Absolutely.

Try switching from to the metal pan off your 505. I hate that lil plastic pan that came with my 1500. Tried the pan off the 505 and the Hornady scale. You are right, the plastic pan sucks (no other way to describe it.

Have you tried calling RCBS? Not yet. I have a local friend who just purchased an RCBS as well...he is going to let me borrow it for a couple of days. Good time to conduct an A to B to C to D variable test (1500 to 1500 to 505 scale to Hornady scale)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ContacFront
    DCLOCO,

Use those scales to weigh your check calibration weights. See if they read the same as your RCBS. Will do. Some difference, do not remember off the top of the gray matter.

My RCBS did not read the same as my 505 either.

My 505 was low.

As long as your RCBS is dropping consistant charges, meaning it is dropping the same amount each time then it is all good.That is the problem. Non consistent. I could live with it, if it consistently dropped 0.1 or 0.2 grains short....not as bad as the first Lyman and better than the second Lyman for consistency.

For example your favorite load using your trusty 505 and a trickler was 44.5gn of Varget in your 308. Now it may be 44.8gn of Varget according to your RCBS, as long as its dropping 44.8 each time who cares?

Get it?Yes, see above.
  • Options
    bperdue21bperdue21 Member Posts: 1,457 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i recall you bought the first lyman as a return or something. i didn't read the post about the second one, but you didn't get all 3 out of the return bin did you? my lyman seems very accurate unless it is cold in the shop. i check my powder loads on my 505 randomly and it has been always very close. is your bench off level? or do you have a draft coming in somewhere? high elevation maybe. i don't know throwing stuff out there you might not think of, but something has to be causing all 3 of your machines to screw up. nobody has that much bad luck with these things.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bperdue21
    i recall you bought the first lyman as a return or something. i didn't read the post about the second one, but you didn't get all 3 out of the return bin did you? my lyman seems very accurate unless it is cold in the shop. i check my powder loads on my 505 randomly and it has been always very close. is your bench off level? or do you have a draft coming in somewhere? high elevation maybe. i don't know throwing stuff out there you might not think of, but something has to be causing all 3 of your machines to screw up. nobody has that much bad luck with these things.

Hehehe...sometimes I have bad luck.

No drafts, made sure. Very level.

The first Lyman was out of the Bargain Cave at Cabela's. My fault for purchasing.

Second Lyman - brand new in the box.

RCBS - brand new in the box.

My problem is consistency. Simply want a dispenser that drops XX.X grains, EVERY time, or at least 98/99% of the time. Is that too much to ask of a two to three hundred dollar scale?

Of note, both beam scales agree with each other. If you put 27.6 grains on one beam, it will read the same on the other.

If I dispense 27.6 grains from the dispensers, I may have 27.5, 27.6, or 27.7 with the RCBS. I loaded 30 rounds the night before last....two loads were right on the money. Some were light by 0.1 gr, some were heavy, by as much as 0.2 grains.

I also used H4198 and Accurate 2230-C - two different shapes of powders.
  • Options
    bperdue21bperdue21 Member Posts: 1,457 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i dont think you are asking too much, i thought thats what it was supposed to do myself. you should probably call them.
  • Options
    steve4102steve4102 Member Posts: 186 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Lyman 1200 and it has always been dead on. There are some normal every day items that can cause these sensitive scales to go haywire. One item is the cell phone. If you have a cell phone with you or in your loading room, remove it and then run some tests. Other electronic devices close to the dispenser may also be the cause of your problem. It is highly unlikely that you got 3 bad units from 2 diff. manufactures. I would look for something around you that could cause an electrical disturbance like a computer using wireless networking or internet, cell phone or even a cordless phone.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by steve4102
    I have a Lyman 1200 and it has always been dead on. There are some normal every day items that can cause these sensitive scales to go haywire. One item is the cell phone. If you have a cell phone with you or in your loading room, remove it and then run some tests. Other electronic devices close to the dispenser may also be the cause of your problem. It is highly unlikely that you got 3 bad units from 2 diff. manufactures. I would look for something around you that could cause an electrical disturbance like a computer using wireless networking or internet, cell phone or even a cordless phone.

Thanks. The cell phone was mentioned previously.

I WILL turn off the cell phone, unplug the cordless phones, and try again.

No wireless internet here, I wired the house....just a router/hub with 4 ports.

I wonder if either phone will interfer even though not in use....on, but not ringing or talking. I would imagine they could....I will check into it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    DCLOCO,

Do a search on the internet on the scale, a buddy of mine I spoke to at the range today said there was a way to slow down the drop rate "A TAD" to get more consistant drops.

If things don't work out soon I would contact RCBS. They have always stood behind their product and I am sure they will come up with a solution.