In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Working up a load.

rotaxpowerrotaxpower Member Posts: 215 ✭✭✭
I was curios how you guys go about working up a load for accuracy. Thanks

Comments

• Studebaker HawkStudebaker Hawk Member Posts: 55 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    With an unknown rifle, I usually start with a middle of the road load in terms of bullet weight and burning rate that has proven itself accurate in another rifle, or was recommended by a load book. Specialty loads with pistol powder and light bullets require more work, and can often be frustrating when trying to regulate them to a certain point of impact.
    Next, I select the bullet weight I'd like to try and make up a dummy round with said bullet seated .020" away from the lands. From there some show promise, others don't. Those that do, I adjust the seating depth in both directions looking for for groups to shrink. Some bullets like to be snuggled up to the lands, others like .050" or more for a running start.
    Next, I increse powder charges until I find the velocity I was looking for, or pressure signs signal a halt.
    Hope this was of some help.
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    rotaxpower,

Some of us could write all day on the process of developing an accurate load because it can be very complex and intricate if you want it to be. For most of us though, complex and intricate isn't necessary.

Here is a fairly lengthy article about load development. It has some good illustrations as well as background to the actual process of load development. I think it covers the topic nicely. When you get this underway and want to get more specifics, let us know.

Best.

http://www.frfrogspad.com/loaddev.htm
  • david mcintyredavid mcintyre Member Posts: 45 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If the rifle you are working up a load on is an older military version. Mausers, enfield, springfield etc., start at the lowest powder setting in the manual you are using. Some of those old war horses are a little weak in the receiver. Mac.