In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

UH-OH I may have a problem!

rotaxpowerrotaxpower Member Posts: 215 ✭✭✭
I got a set of check wieghts, so I thought I would check my scale out to see how accurate it was. Well the wieghts are in grams and I was told 1 gram is 15.603 grains, is this right? I hope not, my scale says it is 17.2 grains! The scale it a RCBS 10-10. I would hate to know how many rounds I have loaded that were too hot [:I].

Comments

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Take a look again, your loads where below the charge you were trying for.

Example,
    you were loading a gram of powder for a charge. that would be 15.603 on your scale.

But in reality your scale measures wrong. To get one gram of powder your scale had to read 17.2 grains.

Not to worry, you are still with us!
  • Options
    Ronald J. SnowRonald J. Snow Member Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One gram equals 15.4323584 grains.

RJSnow
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Before you freak out to much, remember that check weights have a tolerance (they are not exact), and depending on the grade/spec that tolerance can be quite wide.
    The most important thing is if your scale is repeatable, that is it reads the weight the same every time.
    This is just another reason thay it's advised that you "start low and work up slow".