In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ok Who has the scoop on this critter, I want one

FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
The 5mm/35 SMc Rifles being made at the Savage custom shop

What I know so far-
32 gr bullet @ 4700 fps AND NO MORE WARE OR HEAT THAN A .223!
SPILL YOUR GUTS![:D][:D][:D]

Comments

• Options
    RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    FrancF,

This goes along with the posts that I was making about a month ago. As a caution, don't believe everything this man writes. Here's the article by Mc Pherson, it's 13 pages long:

M.L. McPherson: December 2004

Do We Need a 5mm (20-Caliber) Varminting Round?

Synopsis: As the former editor of Cartridges of the World, I may be in an somewhat unusual position to recognize that, in general, we have far more chamberings than we could ever need. Beyond some very specialized applications, there are precious few holes in the lineup of readily available factory chamberings. However, such holes do exist. Here we will explore one that I feel is significant.

The sport of Varmint Hunting has expanded quite significantly in the past twenty or so years as ranchers and farmers have grown to appreciate that sport shooters can be their ally in controlling unwanted, dangerous and destructive pests about farm and ranch. Without getting into a deep discussion on this subject, I can simply report that all unbiased and honest experts in this field agree that varmint hunting is by far the most humane control method for such pests as the short tailed ground squirrel species that Lewis and Clark unfortunately named the Prairie Dog. I prefer the more appropriate moniker, Prairie Rat.

These critters have no effective natural enemies and the "natural" consequence is that they destroy their habitat as they multiply and must therefore spread out in a circular pattern, leaving a barren, scarred moonscape in their passing wake. It can take decades for such lands to fully recover before another cycle can resume. However, in much of the US before this can happen, the bubonic plague will devastate entire

http://www.superiorballistics.com/5mm_varminting/5mm_varminting.htm
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    How about 3500 fps with a 300gr .338 pill? My next custom rig project is going to be the .338 Snipe-Tac...suposedley a 2500 yard rig. The designer claims to be getting extreme accuracy with it as well. The only down side is you have to use a barrel that's at least 32" long to burn all the powder...I'm thinking of going with 34"-35". If I remember correctly, the case head is .687, so it looks like it's going to be a custom action as well.

It's gonna need an excellent muzzle break![B)]

Here's a link: http://viersco.com/
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the link NN I will check it out.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What can it do that a skilled rifleman can't do today?

ECC, you are a better man than most. The recoil off of a .338 is a bit stout side for most folks. After 25 rounds I say uncle for the day. Do you have recoil buffers in the stock to reduce the crushing push?
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's why I like my 7x57 loaded with 168 gr. Bergers using 46 grs. of VV N160... I use a past recoil pad just to keep it nice and soft all day long.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost1958
    What can it do that a skilled rifleman can't do today?

ECC, you are a better man than most. The recoil off of a .338 is a bit stout side for most folks. After 25 rounds I say uncle for the day. Do you have recoil buffers in the stock to reduce the crushing push?

My Gunsmith has designed an excellent muzzle break. It reduces the felt recoil of a .300 Win Mag down to .223 levels. I'm not sure how effective it'll be on that .408 Chevy Tac case, but it's bound to be tollerable. I'm good for about 50-60 rounds with a .300 Win Mag hunting rifle...MAX. This will be a heavy target rig, so with his break I would imagine it's not going to be too bad. If it's too bad, I may look into the recoil buffers for the stock. Do you happen to know anything about them? Do they adversely affect accuracy in any way?

FrancF...didn't mean to hijack your thread here[^]
  • Options
    rlnblkrlnblk Member Posts: 130 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a tactical 20 , 500to600 fps slower.Very accurate with almost all looad I've tried.This is based on 223 rem case