In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Montana 1999 actions? Any good?

Bill CostikBill Costik Member Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
What do you guys think of these actions? Controlled round feed, claw extractor, 3 position safety, Model 70 style trigger? Anyone know what the going price is on these? I was looking at some at school, they sell them for around 410$. I was thinking of doing a build on one eventually this year.

Comments

• Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    General opinion is that they are good solid actions. The complaints are that they are a bit heavy for their size, and they need some finishing to remove the machining marks and smooth them out for final coating/blueing.

$410 is a decent price.
  • Options
    wanted manwanted man Member Posts: 3,276
    edited November -1
    Bill, how's school going?
    Although I don't own any rifles built around the Montana action, they do have a bit of a reputation.
    My understanding is that they ARE a quality piece and are designed to withstand what equates to RUM loadings.
    Little help, I suppose[B)]
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Bill, you can buy new 700 actions from Midway...in stainless or blued...and I think you can get them for a little less than that. If this is a project for your schooling, I could probably get you one for dealer cost. Midway does not have much mark up though, so by the time you pay for shipping, etc, I'm not sure if you'd save anything or not. I have not compared the dealer/regular prices on them.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I was sort of eyeballing them at school. I did notice some machining marks and whatnot. Also, they looked solid, as in heavy. I was thinking of eventually using one for a sheep/goat rifle, something light-weight, so it appears these may not be the best actions weightwise. Just kicking some ideas around, wanted to see how the compare to other actions.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    you could make up some weight with a small barrel dia and a light filled mcmillan stock if you like the design features.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hey JustC let me ask you, from a hunting point of view, how do the MArk Bansner High Tech Specialty stocks rate? Mark is a former student of the school and one of his stocks came in for a guys 6.5WSM. I was amazed at the lightness of it, something like 20 ounces. Had some mold marks but they could be removed easily enough. Looking at it I was'nt sure how it would hold up to heavier recoil. Whats your take?

I do like the design of the 1999. I don't like the bolt handle on the 700, nor the extractor. Just preferance I guess.
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    I think they are over-priced. I'd rather look for a Pre-64 M70.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I havn't used or even held one of those. I will say that the cross-layed fiberglass stocks according to most, are very strong. Also, adding a set of pillars to further distribute any recoil/torque makes them quite durable.

I asked Kelly Mcmillan if he thought my 300RUM with pillars and bedding would ever have a chance of cracking the stock, and he said if it did, he would replace it himself.[;)]
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bill,

I've been working with these since the initial design phase. The last person I spoke with before I left SHOTShow this afternoon was Brian Sipe, the owner of Montana Rifleman. He mentioned that if you call by the end of the day 13 Feb. 06, you can get a Chrome Moly short action magnum bolt face for $360.00 each unit. I bought some. You will not get a pre-'64 Winchester action for anywhere near that cost and most especially now that Winchester is going out of business and the prices for anything Winchester are at the top end.

Take a look at any of the commercial Mauser receivers or any other flat bottom receivers and you will notice tool marks on several areas that are below the stockline and a couple of out of the way places on those receivers. They aren't round and they are not turned on a lathe in order to get rid of the tool marks quickly and easily. It saves time and more importantly, the money that time costs, to polish out tool marks that are not seen on a stocked rifle.

If you chose your components judiciously, a few additional ounces in the receiver won't make a lick of difference. Common sense, a correctly balanced and 100% reliable rifle are far more important.

The Bansner lightweight stocks are O.K. if you have the time to finish them. The mold lines are significant as are the pinholes on the outside. Body putty in a tube is a big help here. It's a trade off between lightweight and cost vs. the time and effort required to get a good surface to finish. The stock has a hollow sound when you fire it because it is foam filled as opposed to being filled with chopped fiberglass in the more expensive stocks. It needs to be pillar bedded to avoid compressing the stock between the trigger guard and the receiver. There are lighter weight stocks available, down to about 12 ounces if you want to check into some of them.

Call Montana Rifleman and ask for Don if you need more information.

Best.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Nononsense I wish I coudl take him up on his offer. Unfortunately I don't have the money, nor the caliber picked out as of yet. Thanks for the heads up anyways.