In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Scales vs Measurer

RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭
I plan on doing my first reloading in the next couple of days and read on another post that a scale is necessary.
Why do I need to use my scale when my Lee Classic Reloader came with a 3.4CC Measurer?
Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.

Comments

• Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    A powder measure should ALWAYS be checked with a scale. They do not drop 100% consistant charges. Once you get the hang of using your particular dispenser, you can try checking every 5th charge or something like that, but by that time you will be able to make some semi-accurate visual notations as well. YOU NEED A SCALE...we don't want to hear about you being blown up.[;)][}:)][:)]
  • Options
    temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good advice from ECC . Those measures work reasonably well, but if you ever want to load near maximum loads you should use a good scale. Sometimes accuracy dictates full or near full power loads......... be careful......good luck.........[8D]
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I third what Eric said. To get the powder measure exactly accurate you need to weigh each load until you are sure how much is going through it.
  • Options
    deceedecee Member Posts: 456 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your dipper measures volume not weight
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    The dipper is fine for certain powders; it should come with a data sheet saying which powders can be used with that dipper for a given bullet weight. BUt a scale is a must for serious reloading.
  • Options
    dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1
    RugerNiner - I have an auction for a RCBS 505 - includes shipping the the auction. I believe it is the cheapest on GB, especially when you consider the shipping is free. Search for dcloco as the seller.
  • Options
    dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    What dippers do not account for is volume variations in different lots of powder. The variation is usually miniscule but if you are at or above max load it could make a difference. Another factor is powder type. Some are subject to compaction much easier than others. This can effect consistency.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    dippers are good for trickling onto a scale[;)] The scale is so much more accurate, it is really one of the things you can do to pick up some accuracy.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    dcloco;
    I have a Lee scale already.
    Why would an automatic powder measure be any different then a dipper?
  • Options
    D.S.COLED.S.COLE Member Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    An automatic powder dispenser is a volume measure exactly the same as a dipper measure ,just a different way of arriving at the same thing.
    I use the Lee dippers a lot with no problems. I do a lot of reloading for customers in the shop and use Lee dippers and have regular reports of " best load Ive tried". In normal rifle loadings a half grain variation either way will make unobservable difference.
    Try it if you dont believe me.
    Only if you are loading "blue pill" hot for whatever reason would I not recommend a dipper or dispenser.
    Some fast pistol or shotgun powders require more precision as a small amount can make a difference if you are loading at top end
  • Options
    roysclockgunroysclockgun Member Posts: 310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As I see it, the problem with dippers, is the settling of the propellant varies.
    If I am loading for hunting, I weigh every load. If I am loading to flail away with a US M1 Rifle or other "fun at the range" piece, I use my Lyman Powder Dump. The Dump will throw very consistant loads after you get into the swing of "knocking" the dump handle up with the same force each throw. I begin by weighing the first five dumps and them around every fifteen dumps to check on my accuracy. The "knocking" of the dump handle with the same force each time, settles the propellant in a consistant manner which gets each load very close to weighed consistancy. I have found the loads from the dump to be within one tenth of grain for each load. I doubt that the average rifleman can measure the difference that one tenth of a grain will make, during practical hunting situations.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I just bought a Lyman No.55 Powder Measure at Cabela's Bargain Cave for $14.99 Sunday. [:D] [:D] [8D]
    I also got a Powder Scale I bought for $9.95 at Cabela's Bargain Cave? [:D] [:D] [8D]

http://www.keystonecountrystore.com/Archery_Equipment_-_Supplies/Bow_Tuning/Bow_Squares_-_Weight_Scales/Lyman_LE800_Electronic_Scale/Page_1/BOT2195604.html
  • Options
    grizzclawgrizzclaw Member Posts: 1,159 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use both, but I constantly weigh and re-weigh.