In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

.260 continues to impress

TeamblueTeamblue Member Posts: 782 ✭✭✭✭
Yesterday I tested a new load in my Rem 700 LSS Mountain Rifle in .260. Worked up a coyote load using Hornady 95 grain V-Max over 40.0 grains of Varget.

I was very pleased to find that they shot to the same point of impact as the 129 grain Spire points I loaded up for deer season. (which were absolutely lights out on Whitetails by the way...)

I shot two groups of 4 shots from 100yds with the second group having 3 shots touching and .78" for the group.

I stopped there with a big smile on my face. I love the .260!!!!

TB

Comments

• temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 260 is a good round that should be more popular than it is. --That's good accuracy from a mountain rifle with the slim barrel taper. Looks like you've got a keeper for a hunting rig....[8D]. -- P.S.= I've had good results with Varget powder from 223 thru 30:06 Springfield. The more I use it the more I like it.........best.........[^]
  • PinheadPinhead Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For whatever reason, the American shooters have never taken to the 6.5 caliber and I really don't understand why. I have shot everything from the .22 to the .35 over the years and in my experience only the .30 cal. and the 7mm approach the 6.5 for versatility and accuracy. I had 3 of the 6.5 x 55mm before my grandson took one home with him. All shoot great and ,well, you've already discovered what they are like on deer. The .260 is just the 6.5x55 in a different case form and it should be great. The 6.5 will do anything the .243 or .257 will do and because of heavier bullets available and better B.C., it will also handle heavier game at longer ranges. My experience anyway.
  • roysclockgunroysclockgun Member Posts: 310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Over the years some bullets just have had a hard time carving out a niche. This is the case with the 6.5mm bullet. Hard to market a 6.5 to those who own .243 and 7mm, as there is simply not enough reason to fill that small gap in their battery.
    My father-in-law is a Norwegian and of course, very familiar with rifles chambered for the Swede military 6.5x55 cartridge. In the Laplands, where he hunted, they killed polar bears and caribou with no thoughts of being undergunned when carrying a 6.5mm Rifle.
  • MichibayMichibay Member Posts: 816 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you want performance without recoil...the .260 is one of the better bets! For deer...the 120 grainers...for caribou, elk or sheep the 140's will out-perform a 150 grain 30-06.
  • GaARNGGaARNG Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    As the kids say now: The .260 rulz. I have a Savage .260, shooting Rem factory 120gr bal tips. large bird(could have been buzzard, but they are protected) one shot @ 267 yards, 8 point buck one shot at 220 yards, Cayote one shot at 196 yards, 5 smaller deer at closer ranges: all head shots(no tracking, no wasted venison) I loved the cal from start but when i saw it being used by 8 of 10 shooters in "shooting sports" I knew the cal was a winner.
    edited November -1
    Teamblue wrote: "...Rem 700 LSS Mountain Rifle in .260. Worked up a coyote load using Hornady 95 grain V-Max over 40.0 grains of Varget.
    I was very pleased to find that they shot to the same point of impact as the 129 grain Spire points I loaded up for deer season. (which were absolutely lights out on Whitetails by the way...)

Everyone seems happy with the rifle/cartridge combo that anchors the game. My question is: How many other cartridges have you graded, in terms of getting "lights out"? Please do not take offense. I am genuinely interested in the .260Rem, but my point is that I read of every cartridge that one can name as "anchoring the game", "dropping on the spot", etc. Many cartridges will fill the bill of being very effective on killing game in their tracks. In your opinion, what causes you to praise the .260Rem above others? Do you have points of reference in terms of judging other cartridges against the .260Rem.?
  • TeamblueTeamblue Member Posts: 782 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This commentary is meant as praise for the .260 and not specifically or implicitly suggesting that other calibers are lessers cartridges with respect to their performance on game or more specifically Whitetails.

I have harvested Whitetails with a .270 Win., .308 Win., 7mm Rem Mag., .30-30 Win., 7.62X39, and both 20 gauge and 12 gauge slugs.

The .260 Rem. is the most recent caliber I have taken Whitetails with and it performed as well or better than all those mentioned above. But all three deer taken with the .260 were well-placed shots with one deer going about 25 yards from impact and the other two going down within the length of their body.

I am not about to get into the 'better than "X"' argument because there are far too many variables to consider. I am merely pointing out that in my experience the .260 is every bit the excellent performer in the field (for me) as it's numbers (Sectional Density and Ballistic Coeffecient) suggest it will be on paper. It does this with mild recoil and inherent accuracy.

What is not to love????

'blue
    edited November -1
    Teamblue wrote: "This commentary is meant as praise for the .260...."

Fair enough. That answers what I asked. I have a Browning B78 single shot rifle, with a 30-06 shot-out bore. I bought the rifle knowing that the bore was gone, in order to re-barrel to some other caliber that I: (a) Like, and (b) Do not already have. In the past, I have ownned and used rifles in 6.5x55 and was considering that caliber. The .260Rem also would fit the bill. I do not need another elk rifle, but merely something suitable for deer and pronghorn. My father-in-law was Norwegian and hunted everything, to include polar bear using a Krag action rifle in 6.5x55, so I know the legend of how effective the 6.5mm bullet can be in the hands of good rifleman.
  • groundy41groundy41 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i had a 6.5 08 for 35 years here in austrailia and have shot every sort of game in this country from rabbits to buffalow and all fell over .i also have used it in center fire silo for 15 years and i am a AAA grade shooter and as a f class un real out too 800 meters .i have sung the it wonderful actary for many years here in austraila and still have fun with it in f class .but as for silo i have moved too 7/57 ackly i have no rams stand any more
    edited November -1
    groundy41, in what area of OZ do you reside?
    I was privileged to have visited in June 2000. Stayed one week in:Tasmania, Adelaid, Perth and Brisbane, then out to New Zealand. I had been invited to judge bird dogs and loved the country and the people. Hunted only with shotgun for: Quail, ducks and hens. Wanted to do a bit of rifle hunting, but time was short, even with five weeks to muck about. Pity that Western Australia had outlawed bird hunting. Wonderful quail population in the stubble in which I judged dogs. Along the Brisbane River, I was able to have a couple great days gunning quail.
    Are your firearms restrictions still as tight as they were then?