In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Anyone have problems....

CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
using federal primers in a Lee setup? Cabelas said that they were not recommended in Lee Reloading setups. I bought Winchester Large pistol primers, only to find out that I need small's. So I returned them with the intentions of getting the same brand. The only small pistol primers he had were Federal's. So I have them now, hoping that they will be ok.

Any help is appreciated,
Thanks
Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.

Comments

• Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    There is nothing wrong with Federal primers. They are usually fire with a lighter firing pin strike than CCI or Winchester. They are more likely to go off if you are using the Lee Loader that you seat the primer with a rod and a hammer. I started off with one of those 45 years ago. It will get your attention when one goes off while you are seating it. If you are using a Lee press there is no problem. I find that Federal's are the mosr sensitive, then Winchester, and finally CCI reqires the hardest firing pen strike.
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,839 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The entire time I've been reloading I've only had one primer go off on the reloading bench, and I wasn't the guy doing the reloading I was just hanging out. If one goes off it will sure get your attention.
  • Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think I remember reading Lee does not recommend Federal primers because of the possibility of mass detonation in their priming tool.I would think a hundred primers going off in your hand would ruin your day.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    cubslovers,

Another thing to discipline yourself into doing is pointing the shell case away from you as you press the primer into it. I've caught myself having that pointed at me numerous times only think what would happen if it went off. The flame'spray' if you will comes out like an unchoked shotgun. It leaves a nice wide pattern. with range of a couple feet at least.
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    Don't worry about using federal primers, just don't be to heavy handed while using the Lee primer tool.
    Keep it pointed in the right direction just in case.
    I use Federal primers about 90% of the time, on all reloads.