In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

need your help guys...

young n dumyoung n dum Member Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭✭✭
trying to figure this out but my math skills are pretty weak......

I ahev a burris scope with ballistic scope, now the guide that came with it states that being zeroed at a 100 yds the first stadia line should be zeroed at 200yds, the third stadia should be 3 inches hgh at 300yds, and the 4th stadia should be 4 inches high at 400 yds, and the last stadia should be 7 inches high at 500yds....(this is mildly tailored for my load a 180 gran at 2950 )

but shouldn't I beable to use these figures and come up with (in theory I know I need to range test it ) what these stadias should be zeroed at? 1e: 3rd stadia dead on at 330yds etc.....

any help would be appreciated.....

Comments

• Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I (you) would need to know how far below the main x-hair the different stradia are (inchs or MOA), also the BC (or brand / type) for your bullet.
    At that point, I (or you) start plugging the numbers into a external balistics calculator (first to get a match for your guide figures, than checking the various yardages looking for the match).
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    You're confusing me- what is the purpose of the various lines? to have an aiming point at a specific range or to be used as a rangefinder?
  • Options
    young n dumyoung n dum Member Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    to have an aiming point at various distances as opposed to using guess holdover......
  • Options
    dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1
    I replied in your other thread in experts.

Consult the ballistics table in the back of the reloading book.

You are asking about two variables of the Y axis and where they will intersect if you already know the point of the first set of points (your 180 grain)
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The quick and dirty with them is to ZERO at the suggested zero by the chart for your, or the closest you can get to your caliber. Then, you use the holdover stadia as your x-hairs at the SUGGESTED range. Now you make a note of the difference between the POI in relation to the POA, and you have your basic aim points with a lil kentucky holdover for the points down the reticle as you repeat this process.

They will never exactly match any rifle, so a little range time will pay off when your shot comes.
  • Options
    dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the same scope. My 200yd aim point is between the main and first hash, and 300 is just below the 2nd. This Balistic plex is for the most part just a guide for bullet drop. Nothing can be perfect. It has helped my confidence, but not my accuracy. No reason it can't, just hasn't... yet. Unfortunatly that is as far as I have tested this rifle. Not too many long distance ranges here in slug gun country.