In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Shotgun Ballistics and the V.P.

RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
All my reloading, and most of my shooting experience, is with handguns and rifles.
With so little information available, would anyone care to speculate on how close a person might have to be to have a shotgun pellet (quail, 6's , 7 1/2") penetrate some amount of clothing, travel through the chest wall, and lodge itself somewhere in the heart?
I'm guessing that at 100 yards damage would be minimal, and obviously damage would be extensive up close (within 20 yards).
What say you shotgunners? (Other than "how embarrassing!")

Comments

• Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    If you were even hit at 100 yards, I doubt it would even leave a mark...especially with a 28 ga.
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    lead traveling at 1200fps is lead, regardless of amount. 357 pellets hitting you at 30yds can be lethal.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Bobski,
    1,200 fps is muzzle velocity? How quickly is that shed? I wouldn't want to stand in front of shotgun at any range, but if you had to guess, what do you think might be the maximum range for the kind of damage that it looks like were discussing here?
  • Options
    rudioredrudiored Member Posts: 94 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    ECC states mentions that getting hit with a 28 gauge wouldn't hurt much....There is no difference between 28 gauge velocities and 12 gauge velocites...One is just as dangerous as the other...The size shot makes a little difference on how far it is lethal....don't make yourself think that a 28 gauge is any safer than a 12 gauge.
  • Options
    nralifersnralifers Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    exactly the 28 and 12 and 10 and so on are just as lethal as another---here is the facts--he was shooting a field load of 7-1/2 shot out of the 28 gauge----here is the opinion---wearing clothes (probably a sweat shirt and vest) at 30 yards the shot would not be able to penetrate clothing, skin, possibly bone and hit heart unless it hit exposed skin and hit vulnerable spot. SO... it could have happened but not likely.
  • Options
    cajunmancajunman Member Posts: 50 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I was 14 years old I was shot in the back of my left calf from about 20 yards by a 20 ga with 7 1/2 shot. 3 pellets struck my leg just below my knee. All three penetrated 2 pairs of pants and 1 pair of long underwear. 1 pellet completely penetrated my leg and the other 2 stopped at the bone. I was very fortunate. Don't think for a second that small pellets will not penetrate clothing or flesh under 40 yards. I have a 28 ga and have cleanly killed crows with #8's at 35 yards.
  • Options
    temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    According to LYMAN's Ballistic Charts #7.5 shot starting at 1200 FPS 3yds from muzzle : 3yds = 1200 FPS - 4.0lbs energy per pellet // 20yds = 865 FPS 2.1lbs energy per pellet // 40yds = 675 FPS - 1.3lbs energy per pellet // 60yds = 555 FPS - 0.9lbs energy per pellet // --- These numbers would apply per pellet regardless of gauge they are shot in. // --- In a typical 3/4oz load for a 28 gauge there would be 259 pellets of #7.5 shot.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all the info, experiences and comments.
  • Options
    GanderGander Member Posts: 264 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are major veins and arteries in the neck. I assumed that the shot penitriated a vien in the neck and traveled downward into the heart aided by the blood being pumped in that direction. As I recall they said that shot was detected in the heart not necesarly shot into the heart. Some blood clotting would have traveled this same route and caused the heart attack. Also the man was shot quartering from the right, a direct route would have had to put shot into at least one lung if not both. I'm not a medical expert, just my thoughts on what might have happened.
    Lead me not into temptation as I seem to find it often myself !
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    The main difference between having someone shoot in your direction with various gauges and chokes would be the number of pellets that would hit you. a 28 ga would have less than a larger gauge and the more open choke one would use for quail would also result in fewer pellets hitting the man than if with a full choke. the doctors statement that the victim was hit by more than 5 and less than 100 doesnt narrow it down much.
  • Options
    JasbucksJasbucks Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    All good points; I shared the opinion of RC at first & then gave the benefit of the doubt that the guys were possibly doing at least ONE thing right and using stainless steel shot possibly retail loads. I think the SS would penetrate better than the lead. Is't it illegal to use lead shot anymore for hunting? I really don't know
  • Options
    OregunnerOregunner Member Posts: 129 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    From what I saw on FOX news the other night one pellet penetrated far enough to lodge on the outside of the heart muscle. The way I understood the doctor, one pellet had apparently bruised the heart muscle & caused the heart attack. The way he was talking they were going to treat any possoble infection with drugs & leave the pellet where it is.
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hunt here in IN and in SD. Non toxic shot is only required when hunting federal migratory water fowl and for all shotgun hunting on some wildlife areas. Although it's a little more detailed than this yo can generally use lead for everything else. If you are hunting out of your area and are worried about staying legal it is a good idea to use all steel shot and use a double barrel or keep your plug in at all times. That's what I do in SD unless I am on private land. Also since I often multi species hunt I carry only steel shot when doing so. That way if I am pheasant hunting and flush some ducks etc. I can take them and not worry about getting fined or worse.

If he put more than 100 shot in him at 35 yards he has one tight shooting 28ga quail gun.

SCOUT