In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

accurite load

gunzforevergunzforever Member Posts: 619 ✭✭✭
i have a model 11 savage i would like to know an accurate load (100 yards) using a 130 grain hornady soft-point bullet, flat based, powder and amount please. Also please no max. loads.

Thankyou and Godbless

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    sorry it is for .308

Thankyou and Godbless
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do you have a reloading book?
  • Options
    roysclockgunroysclockgun Member Posts: 310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    bpost1958 said it all. The .308Win in the current Savage M11 can be very accurate, but your best place to begin is with a reloadning manual. Even if I have the same model in .308Win, my load data may do you no good. Begin with a light load and work up slowly until you find the sweet spot for your rifle. A number of propellants will work. Sorry, I have not loaded the 130gr bullet, or I would at least tell you what is working for me. With the 150gr I have had very good results with IMR4350 and IMR4064.
  • Options
    D.S.COLED.S.COLE Member Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try this, its my favorite 308 / 130 gr bullet load. My rifle will put 3 in one hole at 100 yds. my friends 700 VLS shoots a half inch 200 yd. group with it.
    Size ,prep as usual. Seat a CCI lge rifle primer, pour the case full to the rim and wipe it off level with H-380 powder , I do this over a pie tin or something similar to catch and save any overflow.
    Seat the Speer #2005 130 gr H.P.
    and its ready.
    There is no danger to this method as the maximum load with this powder and bullet is a very heavily compressed load that is well beyond what can be poured into the case. If loading the max you have to tamp it down as you fill to get it all in.
    Try it believe me it works.
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    Anyone have any idea about how much the burning rate of any type of powder will change when it's been broken up while being compressed ????

How you can possibly fill a case up the the rim and get a bullet seated where it belongs without breaking up the powder is beyond me.

The only way anyone can create a accurate load in there gun is to shoot there gun until they find out just exactly what it likes, there is no other way, period.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Every loading manual is full of compressed loads ,check it out.
    The load ive given is completely safe.This load is actually far less compressed than most. When you pour the case full with nothing to settle it, the powder after you wipe it off level can be jiggled and shaken in the case and it will settle enough so it is actually hardly compressed at all.
    Many heavy loads in many calibers are very compressed and they are still safe. Read up on compressed loads .
    This isnt the only thing you can load with this method.
    the 22/250 with 4350 powder,the 30/06 and 4831 with a 150 gr works fine and there are others that you can do the same way.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    hey, about that commpressed load you gave me would it be safe to use a hornady 130 grain instead of speer
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It would be as safe as the Speer as you are still way below max.
    The Speer bullet performs so well Ive never wanted to use any other.
    Try your bullets if thats what youve got on hand. Load up a handful and try them out.
    Happy shooting.
  • Options
    hedgehopper62hedgehopper62 Member Posts: 636 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    my favorite load= 30-06 150 gr bullet case dipped fill 4831 and seated to length.also how i start my grand kids out on learning to load.stressing only on certain powders.tks hedge