In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

C.A.S. Powder ?

gotstolefromgotstolefrom Member Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
I don't visit here much, so if this topic has been covered just point me to it.

What is the deal on "new higher bulk, lower pressure powders".

I'm still working on a drum of Bullseye for small cases. But, for light 38 and 44 loads I get poor groups and refuse to add filler to the case.

Any hope on a newer powder or was another writer just pu$hing a product ?

Thanks

Comments

• PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    I have started using IMR Trail Boss for just such purposes. It is a very light and bulky powder. I have used it for weak 38 S&W and 44-40 pistols.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The powder was developed for low power loads in Cowboy action shooting. Bullseye and other high energy powders are much easier to double charge with the light loads used in the big cases like .45 LC. There is also a detonation issue that is yet to be proven. The shock wave of the primer moving the low powder charge forward as it ignites can theoretcially burn from both ends meeting in the middle and setting up a pressure wave that wrecks the gun and your day.

The reports are good on the new bulkier powder for low power purposes. Cleaner burning and case filling are always a plus