In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

222/223 question

duker33duker33 Member Posts: 64 ✭✭
hi cna a person size and trim a 223 case and then use it in a 222 any help i got several thousand 223 cases i could use then thanks duker33

Comments

• Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    It's a little more involved than just running the 223 through a 222 full length sizing die, but yes, you can alter 223 into 222.
  • D.S.COLED.S.COLE Member Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have done this a few times.
    Run the the 223 through the 222 full length sizer ,trim the neck down to 222 length and see if it chambers in your rifle.If it doesnt then you may need to anneal the cases and run them through the die again.Usually the neck size will be okay as is but if you run into some cases that have a little thicker brass the necks may need turning down to meet specs.
    If you need to anneal them ,stand the brass up in old pie pan with water up about halfway up the brass. Take a propane torch and heat each piece at the neck/shoulder until it turns red then tip it over in the water to cool it. This changes the temper of the brass so it wont spring back out after being resized.Do this in a dark corner and you can see the color change easier when heated . This is a lot easier and simpler than it sounds and doesnt hurt the brass.
    Good luck
  • peabopeabo Member Posts: 3,098
    edited November -1
    RCBS makes a form die and a trim die just for this purpose. I have quiet a few .222 formed and trimmed from .223's.
    MVC-485S.jpg
    MVC-486S.jpg

Thanks---Peabo
  • peabopeabo Member Posts: 3,098
    edited November -1
    Duker33, tried to respond to your e-mail but comes back as undeliverable. I sent you another through your profile. Let me know if you receive it.

Thanks---Peabo