In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Priming tool with lots of Mechanical advantage?

I like priming military brass without removing the crimp. The lee hand auto prime works fine for about 500-1000 rounds before you have to replace the lever due to gradually bending it with the excess force required. Then I have to order a new $3 part.

None of the press mounted systems work for me as they all work on the end of the up-stroke and have extreme mechanical dis-advantage.

Who's tool should I look at?

Comments

• Options
    PinheadPinhead Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's your business but you are deforming the primer each time you force it past the crimp edge. That's why you are destroying the lever. There is also the possiblility that sooner or later you are going to set a primer off during the seating process--not good. My advice--for what it is worth--buy yourself a dillion crimp swager to remove the crimp. It is fast and simply. By taking the shortcut you are using, you are defeating the main reason for reloading--more uniform and accurate ammunition for your rifle.
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    So, how do you feel the primer seating, while your mangling the snot out of it???????
    Do your case prep, you only have to swedge the pockets 1 time.

IOW, reload the correct way, or don't reload at all.
  • Options
    richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    I already have the RCBS swaging tool(which really doesn't impress me much), just trying to eliminate a step. The primers aren't catching on the lip, just snug going through. Ammo I load this way still shoots MOA or better.
  • Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    The RCBS priming tool is stronger. It uses standard shell holders. It costs about twice as much as a Lee. You can also use a priming arm on a press it is slower but a lot more force on the primer.