In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

How many of you have brass....?

Bill CostikBill Costik Member Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
For a cartirdge you don't even shoot? A kid at school today was throwing out 5 boxes of once fired brass. Three boxes in .30-06 and 2 boxes of .30/30. I don't shoot eithe rof these rounds but I thought maybe I'd built myself a .35 Whelen and a Encore .30/30AI sometime. Just wondering if the rest of you guys are as bad a packrat as I can be?

Comments

• Options
    Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am the same way. Whenever I go out to the local shooting range to shoot, I pick up all of the empties that are laying around whether I have that caliber or not. My friends know my habits and as a result they give me all their old brass as well. I blame this habit on my uncle, but I guess I will rarely have to buy my own brass.[:)]
  • Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    I pick up anything that is boxer primed. I load a lot of different rounds. I usually ask around my gun club and give away any thing I can't use.
  • Options
    grizzclawgrizzclaw Member Posts: 1,159 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I pick it all up, I even keep the stuff thats not reloadable.[?][:0][?]
  • Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I do the same as Pearyw.
  • Options
    CrpdethCrpdeth Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I pick it all up, there seems to always be someone comming up asking if I'd roll up a custom load for them, so if nothing else we have something to start with, but the main thing is that I feel I will own a firearm in that particular caliber someday. [}:)]
  • Options
    PinheadPinhead Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yeah, I pick up all the boxer primed stuff and if I can't use it I give it to someone who can. I hate to see good brass wasted.
  • Options
    remington nutremington nut Member Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    GUILTY AS CHARGED AS WELL.... i have more brass than i know what to do with, all reloadable so that's a plus. i shoot 30-06, have about 500 + rounds loaded and easily have over 1200 peices of brass waiting for the rest of the goods to go bang. i probably have 100 pieces or better of most brass out there, not counting the 5 gallon bucket of 9mm brass i have, roughly 12,000 pieces. a couple of my buddies shoot 454 casull, before much longer i'm going to have a bucket of that too. I do alot of loading for some regular guys, they keep all their own brass for me so that's not a problem and they get brass from people they know and bring it to me.... *CAUSE THEY KNEW I NEEDED IT* they say ..... [:D]
  • Options
    bperdue21bperdue21 Member Posts: 1,457 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i pick everything up except 9mm, 223, 45 acp, and military stuff. probably use it for a giveaway in about 375 posts. or if someone needs it there it will be.
  • Options
    roysclockgunroysclockgun Member Posts: 310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have, for years, saved any boxer type cases that come into my possession. Sometimes I give it away. Other times it makes excellent trade goods and occasionally, I acquire the firearm for which I can use the brass. I have not had problems with old brass. I have reloaded 30-06 brass bearing WWII dates.
  • Options
    shootlowshootlow Member Posts: 5,425
    edited November -1
    guilty
    i will even clean it inspect it and save it if a friend needs it i give it to them
  • Options
    dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not only do I have brass, but also most of my die sets are for firearms that I do not have. 7 of my 9 to be exact. Things I do for friends...
  • Options
    remington nutremington nut Member Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    dcso struck a nerve on the loading dies, i have over 40 sets of dies, some are the old herters dies that my dad bought in the 50's or 60's. i probably only load for about 10-15 calibers. but i got the dies if i find the gun [:D]
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I collect all kinds of brass that I know will be worth a lot. I pick up stuff out of the brass buckets we keep out at the range. all WBY, 7mm STW, 300 Win mag, .303 Brit.(I reload that for a friend) I've sold some of it too.
  • Options
    NavyGunnerNavyGunner Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I too collect brass at the range. While picking it up I sometime find hand fulls of live ammo that others have dropped. The range owner looks forward to me coming there. Most of the brass I use in my reloading business. The bad stuff, I put in plastic gallon jugs. They average 25-28 lbs.per jug. Salvage yard gives me $.23 cents per lb...Keeps me in primers and powder. Picking brass up is like picking money up off the ground.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I do. Some I eventually use when and if I get a gun in that caliber. Some I give away. Some is still in my basement, some I sold with the admonition it was range pick up. I moved a 5 gal bucket of 9mm that way, got $75 for it!
  • Options
    savage204savage204 Member Posts: 72 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Where I live there is no range to shoot. We shoot at the dump at old water heaters and washing machines. Wish we had a range to go to and I'd spend all day picking up brass to reload.,,,,,,Savage
  • Options
    happyhunter81happyhunter81 Member Posts: 35 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    LOL guilty. I can smell a brass case from half a mile and will walk over to get. I also have an uncanny ability to gind spend bullets in the mountains. My hunting buddy's all tease me about it. They accuse me of reusing them. So yes, you have a lot of company with this sickness.