In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

rem or winchester ????

duker33duker33 Member Posts: 64 ✭✭
hi i am reloading 222 rem i need to buy some new brass is there any difference between remington and winchester brass let me know what you think or dose anyone know where a person cna get a good deal on 1x fired brass

Comments

• Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    My preference is Winchester. I did a pressure indicators test about 30 years ago, firing the same load in several brands of brass and Winchester brass showed the least indicators. That was before I had a chronograph, so it may have been the result of greater interior space, so the velocity may have been lower; but it was all I had to go on at the time. So I standardized on Winchester, if available in the cartridge I wanted. No point to switching now.
  • Options
    brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    try brassmanbrass.com for once fired brass.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    Winchester is better. I only use Remington if I find it at the range. I get more life out of Winchester brass.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lapua will be the most consistent. Winchester seems to clean up easier for me than remington.
  • Options
    PinheadPinhead Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Winchester tends to have thinner case walls, thus slightly more volumn. Remington brass is a little thicker and lasts longer for me. I am gradually switching to Lapua brass right now because it comes from the factory without having to have the primer flashole reamed to standardize the hole size where the winchester and remington does have to have this done. Lapua flasholes are reamed not puched as winchester and remington. Winchester and Remington come from factory in varying lengths and have to be trimmed for best results. The only real drawback that I see to the Lapua brass is the cost. Lapua cost double what whinchester and remington costs. Wincheter and Remington both have work to be done before you load them, Lapua comes from the factory with all the work done for you. All threee get the job done when prepped and loaded correctly.
  • Options
    grizzclawgrizzclaw Member Posts: 1,159 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use all Remington, no problems. I shoot about five boxes a year at groundhogs around here, and I'm still using the same Rem 721 and cases that I got when Grandpa died in 1969.
  • Options
    SnellstromSnellstrom Member Posts: 1,085 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I primarily use Win brass for most of my cartridges I load for, I do use Rem in a couple though. As far as quality and longevity I can't really tell the difference between the two. For my 30/06 I notice that point of impact changes 3" high and 2" left when I switch from WW to Rem and all other aspects of the load are identical.
    Either brand will suit your needs, pick one and go with it.
    If you are shooting Match Benchrest competitions you will need to look at Lapua or another high dollar brass. Hunting, Varminting and informal target punching WW or Rem will do.[;)]