In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

reloading

chris_cechris_ce Member Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭✭✭
I came into possession of a Pacific DL 150 reloader, but it came with no manual, so I have no Idea what order the shot shell must go thru in order to be reloaded, can someone with the same model or the knowledge help me.
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    loading data for .308 caliber ftx bullets
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Just got some 125 gr slugs for a 30-30 post 1964 Winchester. My data is for 110 or 150 gr loads. I use IMR 4064 powder. Does anyone have data for this type of workup? I bought these when it was impossible to get any type of components. Thanx Obama!
    Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!
    Llama girl
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ok i have read threw the two pages here, didnt find what im looking for, if i go an buy a lee turrent kit, what else would i need beside the dies/powder/tumbler. to get this into operation. from watching the guys on you tube they dont use the little primer cleaner tool, unless they did that before making the videos. also i would buy a digitl scale for powder weigh ups. now i have searched,maybe not under the right keywords, but i have looked for the answers.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a 40-63 ballard What's best, Black powder or pyrodex?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am thinking of starting to reload my ammo and I'm wondering what is the best set for the least amount of money.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hello Everyone, I'm Joe. It has been 15 minutes since the last time I reloaded. I have been addicted for 3 years now. When I reload, time stands still. On my days off, I reload. I am obsessed with accuracy and getting that sub MOA at 200 yards for my simple hunting rifle. When I go to bed at night, I think on how to make my bench rest more sturdy and strap my gun in so when I do my ladder at 200 yards, human error is taken out of the equation.

Someone once told me that I might not be the only one.That there are more out there.

My name is Joe and I am addicted to reloading.

[:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Would like to know if someone could help with question I have. Thinking about a hornady lock n load ap wondering if I can use the dies I already have or do I have to use hornady dies.THX Ron
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I think I have made the decision to get on the reloading band wagon. I'm looking for someone in the nor cal---east of Sacramento area as a tutor. From walking me through the purchase of a dependable set up to educating me on the first run. I have lots of brass--38, 9mm 40, 45, 44, 223 243 308 and soon--44.40. I'm a tactile learner so hands on with a mentor is far more effective to me as opposed to just buying equipment and reading a book. Plus---meeting new people.

Thanks in advance
    Bret
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Tell me about reloading. What do I need to have? Would this cover all of the tools I need? http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=00005085003
    All I want to reload right now is 40cal and 30-06. How much money can a person save by reloading? How many times can the brass cases be used?
    I'm sure I will think of more questions later.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I want to get into reloading what is the best press to go with. I have heard alot of good about a dillon press??? are they worth the $$$. if so what model
  • Options
    edited November -1
    hello all im thinking about getting into relaoding and i have a few questions
    i want to reload rifle and pistol do i have to get differnt presses or just die?
    and i alos want to load muliple shotgun gauges do i have to get differnt presses or can i get conversions
    and what are the best ones for beginners
    thanks in advance for your time and expertice
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I shoot a Marlin guide gun for hunting in 45/70. With the introduction of the 450 with the new pointed ballistic tip bullets, I would like to know if I can use these bullets in my 45/70 reloads.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am in the process of looking for equipment. I want something that I can reload my rifles as well as my 9mm. Is there one that is better than the other? Any help would be appreciated.
    Ike
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am looking for some help trying to find some lead bb size shot any help would be appreciated
  • Options
    zipperzapzipperzap Member Posts: 25,057
    edited November -1
    Go down to reloading forum, too.

There are LOTS of experts there with the right info![:D]
    Grinch_final_white.jpg
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thats a good start-

quote:How much money can a person save by reloading?
    Depends on the volume that you reload. The things to remember (in my own opinion) about reloading is building ammo that suits you and your gun and the fun of doing it.

quote:How many times can the brass cases be used?
    at leaest 4-5 times, BUT it depends on the quality of the brass, how hot of a load you use etc.

Come over to the reload forum we will get ya set up[;)]
  • Options
    MosinNagantDiscipleMosinNagantDisciple Member Posts: 2,612
    edited November -1
    Woah, slow down! $275 for that whole kit seems like a bit much.

You would save money buying the stuff seperately.

Look into the following:
    A Lee Classic Cast press ($60) http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=317831

Lee pacesetter dies ($18 for a set) http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=520790

And an rcbs 505 scale ($68) http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=758842

Thats all you need for basic reloading. With time, you'll also need to aquire a set of calipers to measure case length, a case trimmer, and assorted other items. For right now, I would highly recommend the above items. I own the lee classic cast press; its awesome, better than anything else out there and for the least amount of money. All my dies are Lee, they are the best finished, include free shell holders and powder dippers, and most importantly, free load information!. The RCBS scale is great, easy to setup and use.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Didn't know we hand a reloading forum. I will ask nunn to move it for me . Thanks.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Get a few more load books to they are not all the same- safe data but some load books run on the high side some on the low side for starting points.
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    MosinNagantDiscipleMosinNagantDisciple Member Posts: 2,612
    edited November -1
    As for your other questions; in regards to price, you about break even when compared with commercial ammunition. If you have a cheap/free supply of brass, say, from friends or from your local range, costs can be considerably less. Also, using cast instead of jacketed bullets will save you money.

What you get by reloading ammunition, is you can bump the accuracy of your ammunition far above commercial standards. Also, if you hunt, taking game with ammunition you reloaded is supremely satisfying.

And reloading is just plain fun. Its relaxing. Its another facet to the shooting sports that is enjoyable and can be accessed by members of the whole family.
  • Options
    OregunnerOregunner Member Posts: 129 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MosinNagantDisciple
    As for your other questions; in regards to price, you about break even when compared with commercial ammunition. If you have a cheap/free supply of brass, say, from friends or from your local range, costs can be considerably less. Also, using cast instead of jacketed bullets will save you money.

I will have to disagree with you a bit on the cost of reloads.

.44 Magnum's cost about .48 cents a bang from the factory ($24/box). I load mine with bullets I cast from (free) wheel weights. Primers & bullet lube cost about .02 cents per, 8 grains of Red Dot is about .06 cents. That's about .08 cents a pop. Granted, these are appoximately .44 Special loads. If I was making full house magnum loads the price of powder per shot would probably double or triple (depending on powder & charge) & the jacketed bullets would be .12-.16 cents bringing the price up to .30 maybe .40 cents. Still less than factory. Frankly I don't enjoy shooting full house magnums all the time & .44 Special ammo with lead bullets cost just about as much as .44 Magnums.

I loaded the .45 Colts tonight with factory made cast bullets that cost .14 cents each, plus primer & 7 grains of Red Dot. This load pretty much duplicates the cowboy action loads that cost $22-$24 a box, or about .45 cents each, give or take. The ones I loaded cost about half that.

.308 Norma Magnums are $2.50 EACH from the factory if you shop around. ($49.99 a box of 20 from MidwayUSA) I load 'em for four bits to a buck, depending on how much I want to spend for premium bullets.

I'm guessing you could load .06's for half to two thirds the price of factory, depending on bullets used.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can load better ammunition with all match worthy components for approx. 40% of the cost of factory premium ammo.

as far as parts goes, by RCBS kits (rockchucker press) and you will be pretty much set-up to go with tools that are backed by a no BS warranty.

one must also remember that the cost of each case, is divided by the number of times it can be used before being tossed. If you pay say $40 for a bag of ultramag brass then each case costs .40. now, I load hot and get maybe 6 firings from the cases, which gives you a figure of .07 for each case, each time fired. At a figure of 90gr's of powder per load, you get 78rnds from a pound of powder which costs lets say $24, gives a figure of .31 for powder. I'll give a match bullet a cost of .28 and a primer is about .02. So, for 300rum I have around .68 in a 300RUM round with match bullets and FGGM primers.

compare that to the $30/box of 20rnds giving a cost of $1.50 each on the shelf.[:0]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Do you need a seperate loader for rifle and handgun?
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    no,..just appropriate dies for each caliber.