In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

If you don't have one...you need this!

I recently purchased an RCBS trim mate prep center.

IMHO, this IS the #1 time saver - prepping brass.

After cleaning the brass, depriming/sizing, & cutting to length, I now:

inside chamfer
outside chamger
inside flash hole debur
clean primer pocket
uniform primer pocket

Your hands will get tired, but it is not nearly the tedious and time consuming that all of the above processes once were.

I give this money spent as being paid back in the first 100 reloads, with just time!!!!

Comments

• Options
    knucklehead14knucklehead14 Member Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you wear latex gloves, The disposable type when using the prep center
    it doesn`t fatigue your hands so bad and gives you a good grip holding the cases while you`re doing the work.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The chamforing bit is a bit aggressive,..I sold mine after it would change case length when I tried to chamfor and deburr. Even slight pressure took several .001"s off the cases. Maybe mine was bad,..but I use all drill mounted tools now as they seem to be less aggressive.

I have gone to sinclair primer pocket uniformers with the drill attachments and the holland chamforing tool with the RCBS deburring tool. I just couldn't get the case-mate center to work for me. MHO
  • Options
    brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    if you trim a couple thou longer than you want, the cases come out the right length when your done. knuckle head i found out the same thing about gloves,but i wear a pair oftight fitting shooting gloves that have little rubber dots on the palm and fingers,work better for me than latex disposable.
  • Options
    dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JustC
    The chamforing bit is a bit aggressive,..I sold mine after it would change case length when I tried to chamfor and deburr. Even slight pressure took several .001"s off the cases. Maybe mine was bad,..but I use all drill mounted tools now as they seem to be less aggressive.

I have gone to sinclair primer pocket uniformers with the drill attachments and the holland chamforing tool with the RCBS deburring tool. I just couldn't get the case-mate center to work for me. MHO

You must have had a bum set of bits. These have seperate inside & outside debur/chamfer not. I don't know if you could push hard enough to take any length off of the case.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    yeah, mine was NIB and the bits were SHARP as HE!!. The problem was that once I FELT that I had a good pressure on the cases and a good match with the bits, they were eating brass. The hand held tool gives me a better feel than the case-mate center. I wouldn't mind trying someone elses one day to see if mine just had bits that were too aggressive.[:)]

as a side note, if you were looking for brass trimmers that are affordable, the powered RCBS unit I have is accurate to the .001" every time and costs wayyy less than those huge units costing 3x as much.[^]
  • Options
    dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1
    JustC - thanks for the info.

I have having a hard time justifying the cost of $175 for the RCBS powered trimmer.

I purchased a new Hornady trimmer...that I can convert to powered, on my own though.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    yeah,..it' the dang motor that cost so much[V] but boy does it free your hands up. You deburr and chamfor the case while the next one is being trimmed. Gotta love a time saver[^]