In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Scientific experiment involving a hammer

OregunnerOregunner Member Posts: 129 ✭✭✭
In a previous thread I said WD-40 would kill a primer. I knew that to be true because I have done it before. Someone indicated that they will come back to life after the WD-40 dried out. So I decided to try an experiment. I took out six primers (Federal LP magnums). I put on some earmuffs & safety glasses, put one on the cement floor in my shop & whopped it with a claw hammer. It went bang. I squirted the other 5 with a good blast of WD-40. One of these I put on the floor & beat the crap out of. No bang. Each evening I'll smack another one. Tomorrow night I'll try one that has dried out for 24 hours & report back.

Comments

• CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I smell a Nobel Prize.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    I think you should apply for a federal grant to research this issue. 2 or 3 milion should adequatly cover your research. Of course you will need research assistants.(me, me, pick me) and a large range facility.
  • OregunnerOregunner Member Posts: 129 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well this test didn't take long to complete. I whopped another primer tonight & was somewhat surprised when it went bang. So I whopped another one. It didn't go bang. So I whopped the last two & both went bang, one was louder than the other, but they did indeed go bang. I'm glad I put on my ear muffs, even though I was pretty sure I wouldn't need them. Given another 24 hours to dry out they might have all gone bang. I gave them all a good healthy blast of WD-40 last night & three out of the four did indeed reactivate in a bit less than 24 hours.

Tailgunner1954 was absolutely right & I was wrong, WD-40 only kills primers temporarily.

Findings-

1: WD-40 does NOT kill primers permanently.

2: Whopping primers with a hammer is fun.

3: Crow IS best eaten when fresh :)

Test concluded.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I assure you that same test with motor oil will result in a dead primer, forever. oil cancels the chemical reaction that makes the primer fire.
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You guys are cracking me up[:D]