In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.223 Rem Reload Question for Hunting

nyforesternyforester Member Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
I am looking to hunt Whitetail deer with a .223 caliber rifle. What is the heaviest bullet weight I can reload ? Can I reload .224 diameter bullets ? I noticed that Barnes makes a 70 gr. bullet in .224 dia. Any bullet / powder recommendations ?
Thanks,
Pete
Abort Cuomo

Comments

• Options
    dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1
    Pete,
    Most states do not allow hunting whitetail with 223 Remington caliber - PLEASE check your local laws first.

On selection of bullet, you are going to be going for a head shot, as the 223 does not really have the ft lbs of energy to know down a deer.

Hornady does make 75 gr A max and somebody else makes 80 grain bullets as well...of course I cannot remember off the top of my memory bank at the moment (Berger sticks in my cranium though!).

For head shots, I would recommend the Sierra 69 gr HPBT.

BUT.....what weapon are you using? Need a fast twist rifle to stabilize the over 65 gr or so bullets.....like a 1:8.
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just me, nothing less than a .25 cal for deer.
  • Options
    D.S.COLED.S.COLE Member Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 223 is not a deer rifle. Why handicap yourself with it?
  • Options
    temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depends on what twist rate you have in your bbl how heavy a bullet you can shoot accurately. A 1-12'' twist usually tops out around 62grs, a 1-9" twist might let you go to 69-70grs. If you want to shoot heavy for caliber bullets in the 223 you usually need a 1-7" or 1-8" twist. Some bbls will vary a little. Figure out what weight you can shoot first.-- Nosler makes a 60gr partition bullet and barnes makes 52-53gr X-Bullets that generally work with the more standard twists. -- Standard diameter for 223 Remington caliber is .224".-- Lots of powders work well in 223. Hodgdon Varget generally loads well at or close to maximum charges with most bullet weights.-- good luck ......[8D]
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    nyforester,

Although I do not recommend hunting deer with a .223 It can be done effectively with three loads that I will mention.
    1. the 60 gr. Nosler Partition using 25 gr. of 4895 or 24 gr. of xmr2015. Work up to 26 gr. of VV N140
    2.The 70 gr. Speer semi-pointed using 24 gr. of 4895
    3. The Barnes TSX(triple shock)24 gr. of 4895 Work up to these as they are all about maximum.
    When you shoot a heavy enough bullet for a deer make sure your rifle twist is correct for stabilizing them. You will need at least a 1-10" twist for the 69-70 gr. and 1-12 for the 60 gr. That may or may not qualify the current rifle you have for doing this. I still recommend going to a .24 or .25 cal for deer. -good luck
  • Options
    nyforesternyforester Member Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all of the info...Yes I agree the 223 is light for Whitetails. I will re-think my original question and go with something larger.
    Abort Cuomo
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    nothing wrong with a 223 and a proper pill. Ifin you are 100yds or less, a properly placed shot with a applicable pill will down the whitetail. Go for nk shots or good boiler room shots. Be patient, and don't take foul shots with small calibers.

anything I would think from 60grs on up would do it. The 53gr triple shock might well do it also.
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    At least one state allows deer hunting with the .22 rimfire magnum. Criminal in my opinion, though it does make the .223 look almost legitimate. If you must, make sure you use one of the premium bullets already mentionned, and that your barrel will stabilize for good accuracy. Personally I feel slightly undergunned when I take out my .243 and feel much more comfortable with a .257, .270 or .308.
    Whatever round you settle on, just be sure to practice plenty, from field positions, and know the limitations of your gun and your own ability.
    Best of luck.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member Posts: 4,911
    edited November -1
    Just C, After all the years we have known one another, This is our first disagrement. NO 22s fer any thing above a cayote. 25 cal. maybe ifn your a good shot. ( I aint stired the POT in a long time )
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Where in the HECK have you been compadre[?] Good to see you[8D] You have to understand,..I live in a flat area with thick woods and agriculteral fields. If you hunt our woods, a 223 is deadly with a good neck or head shot, as the distance will be 50yds max. I will admit I have never used one personaly, but have seen the results at the check in station. As long as you place it right......[8] I have seen 1/3 of a head[xx(] They work,..but only under the right conditions. Never as a field gun.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member Posts: 4,911
    edited November -1
    Where the HECK have I been? In the Hospital fer 3Mo's, Broke my neck a littel bit, Incomplet Fractor had to have bone graft and metal plate put in, could not move fer 2 Mo's am getting around a little bit now with the use of a walker, Dr says that I will walk again. Good to see that you are still here.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    my uncle broke his neck when he was a kid, then again when he got older. He has managed to be able to walk and work ever since. As long as you are moving now my friend, you have one heck of a chance of getting back to 90+%, which will be a miracle you get to enjoy in your lifetime. Hope all is well, let us know if you need anything.
  • Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,242 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I sometimes use a Handi-Rifle in 223 to deer hunt.Due to the barrel twist I have to use lighter bullets for accuracy.A Sierra 55 grain GameKing will do the job if you shoot the critter where it needs to be shot.
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    Thousands of deer die every year because of a run in with a 22 caliber centerfire bullet.
    If it's a factory rifle, try the 60 grain Nosler Partition, and eat good alll winter......
    It's accurate as all get out, and will make any deer DRFN...............if you do your part.

I'll also bet a $100.00 bill that all the nay sayers will not let you shoot at them with your .223 at 100 yards [:)]
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    MrBruce,
    No disrespect intended, but plenty of deer come out our north woods every year after meeting up with a .22 L.R. or RFM pill. Usually well after dark. I wouldn't let anyone shoot at me with either one at a hundred yards, but that doesn't make either one a fair deer cartridge.
    There are too many variables in the field to not give yourself a little margin for error. In my book, that's not a .22, centerfire or otherwise.
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by RCrosby
    MrBruce,
    No disrespect intended, but plenty of deer come out our north woods every year after meeting up with a .22 L.R. or RFM pill. Usually well after dark. I wouldn't let anyone shoot at me with either one at a hundred yards, but that doesn't make either one a fair deer cartridge.
    There are too many variables in the field to not give yourself a little margin for error. In my book, that's not a .22, centerfire or otherwise.

None taken, and I sure didn't mean to infer that a 22lr, or I assume you meant FMJ is a good thing to hunt deer with. But the 60 grain Nosler Partition will most definately put a deer down anytime you put it where it belongs.
    I hunt deer 99.0 % of the time with a 16 inch .284 XP-100, but if I had my TC Contender barrel in a .223 on it loaded with the 60 grain partition instead of my .375JDJ with 220's in it, and saw a legal deer I would bring it home 100% of the time.......