In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Improve accuracy of .22 rifle

What can be done to improve the accuracy of a .22 caliber Winchester Model 290?
I have a couple of 30-year-old .22 caliber Winchester Model 290 that are the worse shooting guns I have. My son's and I enjoy going to the outdoor range frequently. We do really well at 50 yards with our other .22 rifles but these Winchester .22 are terrible.

What can be done other than a good cleaning? Tried that.

Comments

• Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What brand of ammo are you shooting?
    Eley and Lapua are some of the best out there, that might help if the bore is not shot out.
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Razor49.
    I'm not familiar with the 290. Most likely some folks who are will respond soon. In the meantime it wouldn't hurt to consider some of the things that might cause any rifle's accuracy to drop off.
    Are the muzzle crowns clean and undamaged? All screws, including scope mounts, tight. Bedding problems? Tried various kinds of ammo? And so on.
    Good luck.
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by RCrosby
    Razor49.
    I'm not familiar with the 290.

Same as the Win. 190, the 290 is the Delux model. If I recall, the "Ted Willimas model "T3" sold by Sears, was in between the 2 for features.

Same gun, differant model #.
  • Options
    Salvage33Salvage33 Member Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Experiment with different mfrs of ammo...and velocities. Some 22's are a bit finicky. Find the one it likes the best and stick with it.

You might also want to see if you have leading in the barrel. Scrub it clean clean, then try it again.
  • Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with a good cleaning and diffrent ammo.I have had good results with CCI Green Tags.
  • Options
    Jim RehmJim Rehm Member Posts: 102 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Occasionally the barrel takedown nut loosens. Any looseness at this point can drastically change point of impact from shot to shot. Additionally if very loose it can cause misfires. To check the nut the rear sight must be removed so that the sheet metal cover beneath it can be removed to see the nut. To access the nut to tighten it requires the cross pin at the muzzle ehd of the barrel holding the magazine tube be removed so that the outer magazine tube can be removed to allow removal of the stock.
  • Options
    DaBowMan18DaBowMan18 Member Posts: 2,962
    edited November -1
    try different types of ammo. I had a slug gun that just wouldn't shoot well with some brands of slugs. I tried a different brand and they worked great and grouped well.