In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Gonna get a new press (and then some).....help?

eastwood44mageastwood44mag Member Posts: 2,655 ✭✭
So I've gotten rather fond of shooting .44 and .45, and rounds aren't cheap. Consequently, reloading appears to be my only choice. Up until now, I've just been using a hand set for .44's (BAD IDEA--hurts like hell).

So I'm finally ready to bite the bullet and get a real press. I'm thinking it will be a Rock Chucker, mostly based on price and reputation. I know I'll need to get dies, and probably a tumbler since I scour the range for brass. Aside from that, what else would I need?

Any other advice appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    If you can spring the additional cash, you might consider the RCBS Pro2000. It sounds like you already have some reloading experience and the progressive press will turn out a lot more ammo, in a lot less time. The Rock Chucker would definitely be the way to go for rifle ammo.
  • Options
    BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you want to go single stage and are going to use it mainly for pistol I would suugest the RCBS jr. It has a smaller press stroke and is easier to load the shorter pistol cases on than the Rock chucker. You can still load all your rifle cases as well. If you want to go progressive then Dillon IMHO is the best.
  • Options
    shootlowshootlow Member Posts: 5,425
    edited November -1
    get a Dillon 550 or 650
    i load between 5000 and 8000 rounds for pistol a year
    and 4000 .223 off of a 550
    best purchace i have ever made
  • Options
    dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1
    You need a case trimmer. ALL of your pistol brass needs to be the same length, even more so, if you scrounge brass.

Check the Frankford Arsenal tumblers. I purchased the tumbler with the bucket and media seperator when they were on sale for $50. This is a good deal.

Medium walnut and fine corn cob media will be your friends!!!

Set of digital calipers make life a lot easier. I posted a sale item from an online source....$9 I believe.

Of course, carbide dies for your pistol calibers. Lee's work fine....so do all the rest.

You might consider a Dillon. You have some reloading experience, so, this will crank out a lot of rounds.
  • Options
    ThrockmortonThrockmorton Member Posts: 814 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Rock Chucker is overkill and more work than necessary for pistols.A great rifle press where ya need the length and leverage.
    I/we normally suggest a loading manual or two but it does soune like yo've got yor feet wet already.
    consider this....a thousand rounds on a progressive is about 1004 pulls of the handle.On a single stage,several thousand.