In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Boxer primers vs the other one

Reddot47Reddot47 Member Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭✭✭
When looking at a casing how can you tell if it is a boxer primer or something else?

Comments

• Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Boxer primer has the anvil built into the primer, and only 1 flash hole in the case.
    Berdan primer has the anvil built into the case, and has 2-3 flash holes in the case.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Leeanne,

Here are a couple of illustrations to go along with tailgunner's descriptions:

Berdan Case
    BerdanprimerCartridgecase.jpg

Berdan Case
    BerdanprimerCartridgecase1.jpg

Berdan Primer
    berdanprimer.jpg

Boxer Case
    BoxerprimerCartridgecase.jpg

Boxer Primer
    boxerprimer.jpg
  • Options
    Reddot47Reddot47 Member Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys, that makes it clear to me now.

I have another question. A friend gave me a bunch of 9mm brass. When you look at the base of the case where the firing pin hits the primer most of the cases have a round dimple. Some however have an elongated dimple almost as if the firing pin was rectangular rather than round. Can you tell me what this is?
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Leeanne,

It's possible that the cases with primers showing an oblong strike are from a Glock.

The strange primer mark is more of a symptom than a problem in itself. It is caused by the barrel unlocking and moving downward before the firing pin can retract, thus putting a drag mark on the primer. Glocks routinely do it because of the relatively heavy striker. The problem is the unsupported and often large Glock chamber which can leave brass too large to resize properly. However, there is nothing wrong with trying to resize this brass. If it appears to be super tough in the resize die, quit and sort them out from the rest of your brass and recycle them.

Best.