In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

From my load bench tip #1 How to kill a primer

FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
If you wish to make your odd/dead primers inert

1 small glass jar (mason jar with a lid)
add one small Bottle of Hoppes #9

place primers in jar with the hoppes #9 with lid sealed just enough so it can breath.

Store in non-flamable safe place sealed.

In 24 hours they will be dead as door nails.

Comments

• Options
    OregunnerOregunner Member Posts: 129 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here's another way to kill them that will probably cause somebody on here to go into mild cardiac arrest, but I don't care, it's fun: Small primers are a slightly loose fit in a .177 caliber pellet rifle & make a dandy bang when they hit anything semi-solid within 20 feet or so. An old phone book works fine, little bits of paper fly around. Loads of fun! (Sorry about the pun.) Wear safety glasses of course.

The secretary printed us some pictures off the net of some of our favorite people down at the body shop & we've been shooting 'em with the boss' pellet gun for several weeks. (It's one of those break open 1,000fps jobs.) Great stress reliever. The primers have taken this game to a whole new level. We have to change phone books/magazines fairly regularly. So far we haven't had one catch fire. The boss checks that sort of thing, he belongs to the fire department. (Really)

Large primers should be about the same fit in a .22 caliber pellet gun. I don't have one but I'll bet that will work too if it will get 'em going fast enough.

Btw, We tried paper patches but that made the primers go off in the barrel. No idea why but they do. Shoots a lot of fire & sparks & crap out the muzzle. Looks cool when we turn the lights off but accuracy is even worse than normal, which is still pretty bad compared to pellets.
  • Options
    DEG305DEG305 Member Posts: 469 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A really fun way to "kill" primers is to place them in a frying pan, cover pan, place on range(kitchen not shooting) on medium to high heat, then count the pops as they go off[:D] I used that method when I was making cartridge key chains, it leaves the primer totally dead and it looks real in the key chain! Oh, I should mention that it would be wise to perform this when the wife is not at home[:D]
  • Options
    dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    It is NEVER advisable to put primers in a glass jar. Can you say shrapnel grenade.
  • Options
    OregunnerOregunner Member Posts: 129 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by DEG305
    A really fun way to "kill" primers is to place them in a frying pan, cover pan, place on range(kitchen not shooting) on medium to high heat, then count the pops as they go off[:D] I used that method when I was making cartridge key chains, it leaves the primer totally dead and it looks real in the key chain! Oh, I should mention that it would be wise to perform this when the wife is not at home[:D]

That sounds like fun too! Gee, & I thought I was going to catch it for my "method" of destroying primers. You've out-done me on the "Omagawd!" meter! :)