In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Load for 85 gr bullet in 6.5x55

mazo kidmazo kid Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
Would anyone care to share a load using 85 gr bullets in a 6.5x55 M96 Karl Gustav? Not interesting in blazing speed, just normal target load. TIA. Emery

Comments

• Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    A 85 grain bullet in a 6.5X55 is going to have a lot of jump to get to the rifling, and is not going to be very accurate.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    That may be true, but I picked up a box and 1/2 at a garage sale along with some 100 and 120 grainers. Hate to waste 'em. Would just use them up as plinkers. Emery
  • Options
    PinheadPinhead Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Kid, I am guessing that the 85 grain bullet you are speaking of is the Sierre bullet. If this is true, the Sierre Manual Edition V give the accuracy load for a 85 grain sierre bullet as follows: Federal case, Federal 210 primer, 85 grain Sierre HP bullet, IMR3031 powder 41.7 grains, seated to an overall length of 2.800". This load was tested in a Swedish mauser model 96 with a 29.5" barrel. I have several 6.5x55mm's but I have never shot the 85 grainer because the twist of most barrels are 8.5, which should shoot at its best with 130 grain and heavier bullet weights. We get too carried away sometimes by what should and what should not shoot accurately. I have several loads for 120 grains bullets that do just fine even though by the book they should be less than stellar loads. I have found out over the years that conventional "wisdom" is not always right and things will go their own way at times. Good luck with your shooting. Just keep in mind that the swedish mauser was designed for loads not to exceed 45,000 psi pressure. The load above should not exceed this pressure. Be very wary of loads listed for 98 mausers, Ruger 77, and other modern actions which are rated at 50,000 psi and better.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Pinhead, yep they are Sierra bullets. Also, thanks for the cautionary note about M96 loads, etc. I am aware of the fact it isn't as strong as say a Mdl 98 so will probably back off a couple of grains for starters and work up as usual. I've only got about 130 of the 85 grainers and probably won't get any more unless I see something good! Emery
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Emery,

I was having a conversation with a couple of the folks at Lapua so I asked them their opinion on your question and they suggested that the VihtaVuori load for this bullet was as good as they could find.

85 gr. Sierra HP @ 2.800" OAL with a load starting at:

Min. = 43.9 gr. V V N-150

Max. = 46.1 gr. V V N-150

Then out of curiosity I checked the Accurate Arms page on the Swede and they list the 85 gr. Sierra also:

AA-4046 @ 2.850"

Min. = 40.9 gr.

Max. = 45.5 gr.

I personally like the IMR-3031 loads but these others will give you something to select from as alternatives.

Quite a bit of the information about the 6.5 x 55 cartridge and the Swedish Mauser rifles is anecdotal and unfounded. Fortunately, there has been some recent investigating into the actions and the cartridge.

An action is never designed for loads not to exceed 45,000 psi pressure because if they did exceed that level, they would fail. The pressure of 45,000 above is supposed to be CUP and even that isn't correct. White Laboratory determined that the Swedish Mauser was proofed to 97,000 PSI. Please note that I use the term PSI and not CUP which is so often misused. Kimber took several thousand Swedish Mausers and barreled and chambered them for cartridges such as the 22-250, the 243 Win. and the .308 Win. and have noted no failures. There's a lot more but you get the idea.

This is a short but well researched article about the Swede and the authors have a book about the Swedes for sale at the bottom. They attempt to straighten out some of the vagaries of long assumed information regarding the Swedish Mausers and the ammunition that they fired:

http://www.northcapepubs.com/swmauser.htm

Good luck with your reloading and shooting!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Nononsense, thanks also for your input. I think I will stick with the 3031 load as I have that powder at hand. Guess I had better look at some more loading manuals and see if I can justify buying some VV powder for other Cartridges other than the Swede. Emery
  • Options
    beaglebeagle Member Posts: 188 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have used the 85gr. sierra and 3031. Works fine. I have been impressed with how this round shoots everything from 85gr. to 160gr. and close to the point of aim for all of it.