In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

French 7.65 Long

Looking for a source to buy French 7.65 Long ammunition or is there a way that they can be made. Is the 7.65 French Long the same round as the .30 Pederson?

Comments

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    pogybate,

There have several threads on this pistol and the cartridge, use the above 'search' tool to find all of them. This is one concerning the cartridge:

http://forums.forthehunt.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=153747&SearchTerms=7.65,Longue

"After the first world war, the French decided that they wanted to equip their armed forces with a new semi-automatic pistol. Various manufacturers were contacted and designers at the government Saint Etienne arsenal began work on a semi-auto design. Numerous designs were tested, and eventually, a model developed by the Societe Alsacienne de Constructions Mecanique (SCAM) was selected to enter service as the Me 1935. The Me 1935 was a modification of the Browning swinging-link system, the principal difference was that the firing lock was in a separate, removable, unit. The Me 1935 pistol had a well-shaped butt, a reliable action, and it was exceedingly well made. The safety catch was a simple half-round shaft on the end of the slide which, when rotated, prevented the hammer from striking the firing pin. Unfortunately the Me 1935 was designed for the anemic 7.65mm Longue cartridge (not the .30 Luger) which propelled an 87-gr bullet at 1100ft/sec to give only 233ft/lb of muzzle energy, this was very poor performance for a military cartridge of the day. With war looming in 1938, Saint Etienne re-designed the Me 1935 to make it easier to mass-produce. The basic mechanical features remained the same, but the lines became more angular, and the finish was of lower quality. The locking of barrel and slide was changed from the original Browning type ribs, to a simple lug on the barrel locking into a single recess in the slide. Various modifications were also made to the lockwork to make it easier to produce. In order to distinguish between the older and newer models, the original SACM-made version became the Me 1935A, and the war production model, became the Me 1935S. Before many 1935S pistols had been produced, WWII began and France was occupied by the Nazis. It is reported that 1935S production continued under the German occupation, but only Me 1935A pistols have been noted with German acceptance markings."

"The Pederson Device was designed to fit a
    modified Model 1903 rifle and convert it to a
    semi-automatic weapon in 1918. It was called
    the Cal. 30 Automatic Pistol Model of 1918.
    The cartridge started out as the Cal.32 Pederson Cartridge, or the Remington Cal .32 Auto
    Cartridge and was adopted as the Cal. 30 Automatic Pistol Ball Cartridge, Model of
    1918."

From "Handloader's Manual of Cartridge Conversion":

'Similar to the .30 Pederson'

It states that you can make these cases from .32 S&W long cases.

Best.
  • Options
    pogybatepogybate Member Posts: 3,150
    edited November -1
    Nononsense, Thank you for the info, much appreciated..