In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ruger No.1 in Dangerous Game rounds

mac59mac59 Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
I am a ardent Ruger No. 1 fan and will be hunting Cape Buffalo soon. However, there isnt a PH I have talked to that advises a single-shot for dangerous game. They require a double-rifle or bolt action for quick follow-up shots. Why is the Ruger No. 1 chambered in so many heavy dangerous game rounds? Am I missing something?

Cant afford a double, any suggestions on a good bolt-action in 416 Rem Mag or Rigby?

Comments

• Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    CZ makes some nice Safari Grade Rifles. All the way up to the 505 Gibbs.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • Options
    shooter93shooter93 Member Posts: 322 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A lot of guys just like shooting the big bores or using them for Elk and Bear here so Ruger offers the whole spectrum. The Cz works, A Ruger 77 Tropical or you could have one put together pretty resonably on a Montana Arms big action. Personally I like the Rigby round better.
  • Options
    OregunnerOregunner Member Posts: 129 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mac59
    I am a ardent Ruger No. 1 fan and will be hunting Cape Buffalo soon. However, there isnt a PH I have talked to that advises a single-shot for dangerous game. They require a double-rifle or bolt action for quick follow-up shots. Why is the Ruger No. 1 chambered in so many heavy dangerous game rounds? Am I missing something?

Cant afford a double, any suggestions on a good bolt-action in 416 Rem Mag or Rigby?

Hmm, maybe you could buy a second Ruger #1 in the same caliber & take two of 'em. Will they let you do that? :) Probably not...
  • Options
    Bill CostikBill Costik Member Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The PH is probably leary of hunters screwing up their only shot with a single shot rifle. Look at the CZ 550, coems in all sorts of big game rounds, .404, .375. .458, etc.
  • Options
    brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ruger makes the deluxe magnum in 416 rigby and 458 lott.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    mac59,

"Why is the Ruger No. 1 chambered in so many heavy dangerous game rounds?"

Commerce. Ruger wants to make money by selling the rifles that are chambered for the cartridges that the public desires. The #1 is suited to the classic DG cartridges because of its ability to handle cartridges with rims. It has nothing to do with their rifle being appropriate for Cape Buffalo hunting, it's about profit.

"Am I missing something?"

Yes. The PH's have your best interest and above all your safety and survival in mind when they stipulate that you need either a bolt rifle or double rifle. They don't know you from Adam so they are forced to make rules that apply to the safety of everyone involved, including themselves. After all, it's their life that's on the line as well as yours. Even moreso since most PH's will place themselves in danger to protect a client and before allowing any harm to come to a client. Therefore, they require you to have more than one shot for those situations in which a bad first shot will endanger the whole group.

You are paying for the hunt and you should by all rights get the opportunity to make the killing shot. Sometimes it takes 2 or more shots on a Cape Buffalo. The PH does not want to have to step in and make a killing shot unless it is absolutely necessary. You need to have more than one shot, it's common sense.

You don't need to afford a double rifle but you need to afford the correct tool for the job. Look around for some used magazine rifles appropriate to hunting Cape Buffalo. Hallowell's has a pretty good selection but there are lots of other places to check. The suggested CZ550 is perfect for your needs and very affordable. Then plan on loading and shooting a bunch of ammunition while you prepare yourself for the safari. This is critcal to your performance when hunting Dangerous Game.

Best.
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    I also like the Ruger #1, but wonder why all the people that ever went to Africa to hunt dangerous game with a single shot TC Handgun chambered for the awesome 375 JDJ never had a problem with a PH telling them what to shoot.
    I personally can stick another 375 JDJ round in my TC as quick as I can rack the bolt on a rifle.
    If I ever decided to hunt Africa I would have no qualms about taking my 375H&H #1, and if the PH didn't like it I would find one that did.
    That wouldn't really matter anyways, because if I did go I would take my poor old single shot 375JDJ Contender as my only gun.......
  • Options
    duckyducky Member Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All the above is great stuff, mac. You're better suited using a CZ, Ruger 77, Blaser, etc. Between 416 Remington and Rigby, I'm personally going with the Remington here in the coming weeks, simply because of ammo cost. The two are near identical in performance, as far as I can tell. I'll be going with a Blaser R93 Synthetic for mine. You could also consider though a Ruger 77 in .458 Lott, which would be well budgetable.

Out of curiosity, when and where will you be going for the Buffalo? My father, brother and I are getting prepped for an early '08 reservation in Tanzania. Best of luck to you.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Bruce,

I was writing in generalities in order to cover the most while writing the least. I was trying to give the general reasons for his lack of success in locating a PH that would indulge him in his desire to hunt with a single shot. There are exceptions to all statements and all rules and you are looking for the exception. I am most assuredly not going to get into a spitting match over anyone's choice of a firearm for a particular hunt. After all, some folks hunt deer with a .223 Rem. and do quite well...

In general, MOST PH's will not take a hunter using a single shot for a Cape Buffalo hunt for the reasons stated earlier, common sense.

Of course there are PH's that will cater to the single shot folks just as there are PH's that cater to the blackpowder shooters and the archery folks. There are even PH's that specialize in "Spear Hunting". But those specialty PH's are fewer and further between than the traditional PH's and therefore it will take some more intense searching for them but they are out there.

I am also aware that those PH's who will take a SS hunter on a Cape Buffalo hunt will look for the most absolute perfect shot for his hunter, thereby reducing as significantly as possible, the danger to all concerned.

"Developed by J.D. Jones in 1977 for the Contender, this potent round is fashioned on a .444 Marlin case necked to .375. Wildcatters have used it with deadly effect on elk-size game. In 1984 it accounted for 19 African elephants. Now it's available in factory boxes from T/C, loaded with Hornady's 220-grain flatnose bullet. Nowhere near as potent as the .375 H&H and other traditional "stopping" cartridges, it's nonetheless adequate for all North American game at sensible yardage." By Wayne van Zwoll
    http://www.gunsandammomag.com/long_guns/contender_062404/

"That wouldn't really matter anyways, because if I did go I would take my poor old single shot 375JDJ Contender as my only gun......."

And best of luck to you. It will make for some exciting hunting. Go with a friend that will fill in as a videographer while you're shooting and then you do the same for him. This can be some of the best footage I've ever seen. It beats the profession stuff hands down.

Best.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Knowing full well the capabilities of bigger bore single shots, since I do occasionally hunt with one, I was surprised when I read this article. I thought that this was pretty interesting also, in an exceptional sort of way. Having spoken with JDJ on the phone and in person on several occasions, I would have doubted that his ego would allow him to put something like this in print. By Mr. J.D. Jones himself...:

.375 JDJ vs. twig - Handgun Hunting
    American Handgunner, Jan-Feb, 2003 by J.D. Jones

(Please substitute Cape Buffalo for Kudu)

"In my experience it seldom happens this way, but suddenly there was a magnificent Kudu bull standing broadside at about 50 yards, with a clear lane through the bush to him. I raised the SSK .375/06 JDJ and placed the crosshair of the Leupold 4X for a shoulder--spine shot. I touched it off expecting the bull to fold on the spot under the crushing impact of the 270 gr. Hornady impacting at 2,400 fps. Only he didn't fold -- he ran without a sign of being hit.

Piet had not yet seen the impact of the bullet of a heavy hunting handgun and he and the tracker immediately, quickly, moved to the spot the Kudu was standing to evaluate the shot by following the tracks. I felt it was a clean miss but couldn't determine why as everything was right as the shot was fired. We stayed on the track for fully two hours without a sign of blood until we found him in the thick bush. Another 30 to 40 minutes was spent determining there was no sign of a hit on either side of him. Piet quietly asked if I would like to take him now. I answered, "No, this is his lucky day. Let him go, let's go find another." Piet's expression clearly showed -- for a split second -- he thought I was nuts for passing on an outstanding trophy animal.

Thirty minutes later I stood in my tracks where I had taken that shot and Piet walked forward a couple of steps and picked up the severed twig the 270 Hornady had dead-centered. Due to the height of the scope above the bore line, I couldn't see the twig when I fired, but it clearly showed lead in the severed section. It wasn't large and probably would not have had much effect if it had been a few feet from the bull, instead of a few feet from the muzzle. Lady luck was with Mr. Kudu that day."
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Just to add, it's perfectly reasonable to take a #1 for plains game in Africa. My father, as a matter of fact is taking his #1 in 300 win mag for plains game. I'll be taking my Blaser in .338 lapua.. [8D]

I've not read anything regarding PHs not allowing single shot big bores for the big 5 (or big 6 if you will), and I imagine this is partly due to the PH and/or gun bearer also carrying a big bore double or bolt rifle as insurance. The PHs and Outfitters we've looked at don't make mention of anything but caliber requirements for the appropriate kind of game and nothing about the rifle's capacity. Regardless of this, consider that in many situations there may be the need for a followup shot and ask yourself if you can really reload that SS and fire a 2nd shot when the bull or other DG is charging from within in many cases 30-50 yards. Even if the PH or bearer took the 2nd shot for you with his rifle in time, I just imagine either way it would turn into a rather turdy day knowing you either got stomped to heck or had someone else make the kill on your DG. For this, while I imagine it is legal to hunt DG with a SS, the PH may certainly do his best to talk you out of it.

If I rambled a bit, I apologize.
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    One thing to remember about hunting in Africa (is that if you draw blood, you have purchased the animal, recovered or not. IOW, when your $10,000 trophy takes off for the next country at full speed because you couldn't take a follow up shot, it's "to bad, so $ad, $uck$ to be you" time.
    And why do you feel you have the right to endanger the PH, the trackers, the skinners and your fellow hunters just so you can use a second (or third) choice weapon??
  • Options
    MichibayMichibay Member Posts: 816 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is an article by John T. Amber in the 1971 Gun Digest of his hunt in Zambia. He used a .338 killing SIX Cape Buffalo. All but one went down in their tracks, and one went 35 yards and fell dead. The shots were all in the 50-60 yard range...and all were shoulder shots. He was using hand loads with 250 gr Hornady solids. He also said that just one solid was recovered...all the rest went straight through. I once talked with a gentleman who also hunted Africa with a .338...and he told me basically the same thing...Cape Buffalo he shot...went straight through!!!

The bottom line...NOTHING WRONG with a .338...it truly has the versatility to take ALL dangerous game. I have never read or heard anywhere where someone USING a .338 wished they had something bigger.

Interesting...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Michi, while it may certainly be possible to take some of the Big 5 with a .338, it is illegal in most if not all African countries. The minimum required caliber for the Big 5 is a .375H&H. For plains game though, the minimum is I believe a .243
  • Options
    use enough gunuse enough gun Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My best friend just bought a CZ in .458 Lott. If anyone here owns one and plans on using it on dangerous game I STRONGLY suggest having a gunsmith look it over first. On my friends brand new rifle the feed rails need to be opened up, they are machined for .458 length and the .458 lott rounds have a tendency to jam when feeding. The bolt also likes to bind up if you have to cycle it quickly. Both problems could have terminal results for the shooter in close quarters situations with dangerous game.
    As far as using a single shot on dangerous game, I see no problem IF the shooter is knows his rifle well enough, and is backed up by his PH.Dave
  • Options
    edited November -1
    use enough, In the last week I've picked up a Ruger M77 Magnum in .416 Rigby for myself, and another in .458 Lott for my father. We had looked at the CZs, and at one point I had decided on a Blaser in .416 Remington, but the Ruger just looked like the most solid option.

I don't think one would face an issue on 'gameday' with the CZ if sufficient practice was done beforehand and the problem caught before the trip made. Know Thy Gun, comes to mind in most instances. However, and this is just my opinion, while using a single shot for dangerous game is most certainly doable, if you don't drop a buffalo or other DG on the first shot and you're faced with a charge, I imagine regardless of how many fingers you had on each hand they'd all go to thumbs in an instant, especially for the first time DG hunter. Of course you'll have the PH, gun bearer, and possibly a local ranger armed to the nines as well to back you up, but in my opinion it would sour the victory to have someone else score the winning shot on what was to be my animal.

Like I say, it's just my opinion and I make no claims to it being gospel. [:)]
  • Options
    use enough gunuse enough gun Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Last summer 3 of my friends were in Africa hunting Cape Buffalo. They carried a 2 .375's, 1 416 rem, and 2 500-3-1/4" doubles. Because of the shooting distances involved on this particular hunt, the 500's never got out of the cases. All buffalo were shot with .375 or (mostly) the .416. One buff took 9 rounds from the .416 before it gave up the fight. All shots were well placed too, every time it charged it got at least one round and most times two. It would turn tail and run for cover until the hunters approached.
    This is the reason my friend decided to pick up the .458 Lott. The .416 did a nice job but didn't have quite enough 'ump' to put them down and keep them down when shooting at longer ranges. On previous trips to Africa he has used the .500 and has seen first hand how well 'using enough gun' works.Dave