In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

BULLET SEATING

duker33duker33 Member Posts: 64 ✭✭
does the ring on the bullet set the refrence point for seating or should not pay any attention to it? i am loading a 325 wsm and the coal is 2.860 when seating the hornady 150 grain sp bullet to set at length it is below the ring. 2.820 is in the ring. so do i make them short or seat below the ring for the correct length? having the same problem with seating my 270 wsm. seat to the ring is way below the coal. any info will be appreciated. thanks

Comments

• Options
    duker33duker33 Member Posts: 64 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    HI I AM RELOADING SOME 222 REMINGTON SHELLS WHAT DO YOU THINK SHOULD I SEAT THE BULLET AT THE MAX THEY LIST IN THE BOOK OR SHOULD I GO A LITTLE BACK LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU GUYS THINK I SHOULD DO THANKS DUWAYNE
  • Options
    DEG305DEG305 Member Posts: 469 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I also load for a 222 and I seat to what the manual lists as the C.O.L "DEWAYNE"
  • Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    A lot depends on wanting to use a magazine or single loading your rifle. I am usually limited by the lenght of the magazine on how far I can seat the bullet.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I generally will single feed my rounds as I am stationary when shooting over 100yds. That being said, IF my throat will allow me to get close to it while maintaining enough bearing surface in the case-neck, then I will usually start at .010" off the lands or even .005" off. If you wish to reliably feed through the magazing, then measure it's length, and make your rounds just short enough to cycle form the box.
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Each gun is a law unto itself. Can't really say.
    Personally I start with the maximum length my magazine will allow then look for accuracy changes as I shorten it up a bit.
    Some like the bullets just touching the lands, other prefer a few thousanths "jump".
    Find out what your rifle likes and remember that it may change from bullet style to style, charge wt., etc. etc. etc.
    and so forth.
    Good luck.
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    Probably the best way is to check it with varying lengths until you hit on the perfect combo of what you need it to do........