In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

220 Swift

pladsplads Member Posts: 224 ✭✭✭
Anyone have any experience using 35 grain bullets in a 220 Swift?

Ran into a good deal on some 35 grain bullets and wondering how they'd work in the Swift.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    What would cause a bullet to go sideways thru a target? I have a Ruger 220 Swift in a 26" heavy barrel. The load was 50 grn. Sierra Spitzer Blitz with 37 grns of IMR 4895. I'm loading the bullet .010 from touching the lands. I have shot this same load many times without that happening and all of a sudden I get one that actually keyholed. One thing I noticed was my velocity's were in the mid 3700's however the one that keyholed was 200 fps faster.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Can anyone give me the guff on 220 Swift in a Ruger M77? What's the barrel twist ratio and how's the velocity compare to .223 in similiar grain projectiles? Also trajecory. Thanks
  • Options
    surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't know the twist fer sure, but vel of the 220 SMOKES the 223...trajecory the 220 is a flat (_!_) shooter.[:D]
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:What's the barrel twist ratio

1-14

The 220 swift used to be a bench rest round, 3600+- fps for a 60gr pill

4000+- fps 50-52gr.

You have a tack driver round, Make sure the rifle is worthy of it.[:p]
  • Options
    OregunnerOregunner Member Posts: 129 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you have the rifle in hand it's easy to find the rate of twist. You can do the same thing with a pistol but there's some 'rithmatic to do for short barrels. For a rifle, put a large enough patch on a cleaning rod so that it fits snugly in the bore. OIl it & shove it down in there almost to the chamber. Put a dot on the side of the rod just above the muzzle at the front sight with a magic marker (or dots on pieces of tape if you prefer). Slowly pull the rod out until the dot makes one revolution & appears back in the same position with respect to your reference point. Measure the distance from the muzzle to the dot on the rod & you have the twist of the barrel in inches. Pretty close anyway.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    plads,

This forum software doesn't cooperate real well with charts and graphs unless they get saved as a .jpg or something similar. So your best bet is to use a site that can help you compare the cartridges and get the information for your own files.

Remington has a 'Ballistics' page that allows comparisons between cartridges and bullets:

http://www.remington.com/products/ammunition/ballistics/

If you want to go a bit further, you can use some freeware named "Point Blank":

http://www.huntingnut.com/index.php

The link is in the right hand column second from the top. It's a pretty versatile but you'll still need a couple of reloading manuals or your own collected data.

Best.
  • Options
    RWSshooterRWSshooter Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    1:14 twist
    I have a Ruger MKII in .220 Swift. Use it to waste prairie dogs. I use 50g V-Max to tear the PD's up. A .223 doesn't really even compare to the Swift. I have a .223 as well, but I prefer the Swift over the .223.
  • Options
    RWSshooterRWSshooter Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    1:14 twist
    I have a Ruger MKII in .220 Swift. Use it to waste prairie dogs. I use 50g V-Max to tear the PD's up. A .223 doesn't really even compare to the Swift. I have a .223 as well, but I prefer the Swift over the .223.
  • Options
    One shotOne shot Member Posts: 1,027
    edited November -1
    One of my favorite rounds for shooting ground hogs. Shooting the swift gives meaning to the term "red mist".
  • Options
    7mmbr7mmbr Member Posts: 136 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have to agree, I have 2 Swifts now and have ownwed 2 others. I have a Savage 112BVSS-S and a Remington 40X in it and LOVE them!!!! I have owned 2 Rugers and wish I had the last one back!!! Without a question, they turn 'hogs inside-out and 'yotes toes north in a nanosecond!!!! Especially when you are driving a 40 grn Ballistic Tip out at over 4200FPS!!!!!!!!!!!! The best 2 powders I have found so far are Varget and IMR-4064.

Seen the least, feared the most!!
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    long live the swift.

RL15 or 4064.
  • Options
    use enough gunuse enough gun Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I built a swift on a '17 enfield action with a timmy trigger and had a 3x9 scope on it 15 years ago. One of the best rifles I've ever owned. 55 grain soft point with 38.5 grains of IMR4064. Anything inside of 500 yards was in very great danger of dying when it was in my hands. A great many critters well past 500 yards didn't make it either. It was the most deadly accurate rifle I've ever owned.Dave