In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Reloading bench

rhino43rhino43 Member Posts: 161 ✭✭
Like to build a bigger bench, anybody out there got some good plans to go by[?]. The one I go is getting small its ok but it seems like as the years go by I get more and more reloading equipment. Thanks[;)]

Comments

• brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i don't have plans, but this might help. no this is not my setup.

http://forums.sixgunner.com/One_example_of_reloading_setup/m_27446/tm.htm
  • Bill CostikBill Costik Member Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got my bench from the Biology lab at the local highschool. You probably all know the type I'm talking about. About 7'x3'. Has a oak top on it about 2 inches thick, weighs about 150 pounds. Best of all I got it for free when they remodeled the labs.
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    rhino43,

I don't think most of us use plans when we put our benches together, although by the looks of some, they require a degree in cabinet making. My suggestion is to go to a couple of places first: Some place like 'Home Depot' cabinet/counter department and your town's home recycling center where folks take used cabinets, countertops and furniture or second hand shops that don't sell 'Antiques'. I have used everything from slightly chipped counter tops (reduced for clearance) to full blown office furniture from Steelcase to make up reloading areas.

Rolling tool carts (yard sales) with counter tops (odd colors or reduced for clearance) on them work if you lock the wheel brakes... I use several of these individually to make temporary adjustable work cells. Roll them around until you like the set up and then lock the wheels.

Sears has a specialty catalogue for benches and tool stands that is helpful also. They have a couple that fit into corners that work nicely when combined with other work surface ideas.

The recycling center should have solid core or hollow core doors that make great bench tops. Simple is to lag the supports into the wall as one of these photos shows or use base cabinets on an additional base for added height. I work standing with the top of my work surface at 38" to 40" for comfort. Lower ruins my back after an hour or so.

Don't make your bench too deep because you won't be able to reach the back of it. If it is deep, build a short riser at the back to put tool boxes or book shelves on. Don't use cabinets with swinging doors unless they are positioned quite a bit above your bench, otherwise you'll have to clear your bench to open the doors.

You can make a simple storage, take-down bench by getting two used 4-drawer filing cabinets and putting an 8-foot piece of counter top between them. Just screw some supports to the filing cabinets and drop in the counter top. Books, powder, bullets and anything else can go in the drawers and be out of the way. Put a rolling cart with a work surface on it, underneath for tools and additional work space on top and you're all set! Better yet, use two rolling carts with work surfaces and pull them out to use at right angles on either end of the cabinets, giving you a 'u'-shaped work cell. When you're finished, clear off the rolling carts and push away under the main work surface.

Use the first link to a site that has some cabinet/bench details. Simple seems to be better for the most part. Here are a couple of examples of what I mean:

http://www.hotelling.com/proj.htm

Another link to a thread:

http://www.handloadersbench.com/forum12/1089.html

Pictures:

384749.JPG

384748.JPG

329521.jpg

342955.JPG

316108.JPG

342957.JPG

307659.JPG

reload1.jpg

reload2.jpg

Reloadingbench.jpg

Reloadingbench2.jpg

Reloadingbench3.jpg
  • dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Where do you live? My old one is up for giveaway. It is VERY sturdy! Made out of angle iron and plywood. Not real pretty, but very functional. I am building a new one that looks more like a hutch. Now that the basement is finished, the wife says it has to be contained somehow. Good thing my dad is a good cabinet maker.
  • dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1
    Build it....very easy to build, especially the picture that nononsense provide.

This bench is very nice. I have the plans if interested (for free, can email).

307659.JPG