In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

356TSW Experts??

Gosh, I am surprised that nobody seems to have experience reloading this hot little round. Its a tackdriver if you have a steady hand and seems to be cranking out some high pressures. Don't know much about it but I sure want to learn more to be able to enjoy more range time.

Sig
NRA Patron Member

Comments

• Options
    brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    well i'm not an expert,but i'll be glad to check at a local gun store tomorrow when he opens.he did have 2 or 3 boxes of ammo not to long ago.also i will check with a friend if i can get ahold of him later,he is an expert,he has been shooting stuff like this for about 45 years.he is only 52.most pistol loads he can rattle off right off the top of his head,this may take a little research,altho he did give a pretty good speil at the gunshop when i asked him about that ammo.be patient,i'll try him tonight.
  • Options
    sig232sig232 Member Posts: 8,018
    edited November -1
    Thanks Brier-49 for checking on the 356TSW for me. I have been told that 9X21 reloading data is close but I don't want to do something stupid and end up with a load that would work for a tank round. I have a large supply of Corbon Ammo, a whole case plus about 2K of new Starline Brass so I am in good shape for the time being.

The Corbon is hot stuff and I would like to reload with more of a target type load. The Corbon ammo is defense ammo and is cranking down range at hyper speed.

Bullets are 9MM, best powder is not known, and grains for each bullet type/weight are not known.
  • Options
    richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    I have a friend who used it briefly for IPSC type shooting when he thought it would be the next big thing. Regular 9mm luger/9x21 dies are fine. It is essentially a 9x21.5mm....just enough different that Smith&wesson could have their name on it.

He used 125 grain cast, or 124 grain jacketed bullets with winchester 540 powder(this is discontinued, but Hodgdon HS-6 is the same exact powder). I don't know what the exact charge weight was, but 9mm +p, or 9x21 data should be a good place to start. Also he used small rifle primers due to the high pressure this round operated at.
  • Options
    sig232sig232 Member Posts: 8,018
    edited November -1
    Thanks Richbug for the great info. I will start with some conservative loads and see how things work!

Sig
    NRA Patron Member