In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

W-231 Future Availability

I wonder how the demise of Winchester will affect the availability of the great powders that the company has produced. W-231 I use a lot with great success.

I hope someone picks up the operation and continues with the products that we enjoy.

Sig

Comments

• Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    agreed!
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You guys need to do a little reading.
    USRAC leases the Winchester name and produces rifles, they closed 1 plant.
    Olen corp owns the Winchester name.
    Olen corp is the producer of the powders and ammo.
  • Options
    PinheadPinhead Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've been waiting to see how long it would take before someone thought about what was "announcement" about the Winchester closing had actually specified. Tailgunner got it right--USRAC is not Winchester. It only leases the rights to produce rifles with the Winchester name and use tsheir patents. Look for someone to pick up the manufacture of these rifle. It may be a year or two and it may be overseas but someone will produce them sooner or later.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There have been at least 10 threads on the Winchester story for the last 3 months, do a search and read all about it.

The news that really would have put you in a tailspin, if you didn't read it correctly as most didn't, is that Hodgdon has taken over the marketing and distribution of the Winchester powders from Olin.

Winchester signs license agreement with Hodgdon Powder Company

1/30/2006

Winchester Ammunition and Hodgdon Powder Company, two great names in reloading, are proud to announce a license agreement that is sure to excite every handloader. Winchesterr branded reloading powders will now be licensed to Hodgdon Powder Company. Hodgdon Powder Company is the industry leader in supplying reloading powders. This partnership positions Winchester brand powders to best support the reloading customers' needs.

You will still be able to find your favorite Winchester powder, from 231 to Super Target, with the consistent supply and support you are accustomed to from Hodgdon Powder Company.

After a brief transition period, Hodgdon Powder Company will assume responsibility for all orders, shipments, customer and technical service, including loading data for all Winchester branded reloading powders. Winchester Ammunition will continue to be your full line provider of world class ammunition and reloading components.

For further information on Winchester branded powders, please visit http://www.winchester.com or http://www.hodgdon.com
  • Options
    sig232sig232 Member Posts: 8,018
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the clarification about Winchester/Olin. I was not aware of the tie in with Olin. I am sure there are many mfg that produce powders that compare to w-231 which I use a lot. Good to know that it will still be a viable choice for all reloaders.

I love the comments that "Nononsense" puts in his posts about hunting with Dick Cheney VS riding with Ted Kennedy. Thats a classic.
    Nice picture of a 50 BMG too. Should be one in every home, especially in California. Border Control Device!! Oooops! is that PC to say?

Sig