In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

9 X 18 Makarov

thunderstick82thunderstick82 Member Posts: 221 ✭✭✭
No one in my area stocks 9 X 18 Makarov ammo. I have to order it thru my local sports store. I was interested in reloading. I know zero about it. I'm not really wanting to sink hundreds of dollars in equipment for this. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    If you are already reloading, it won't cost you much. I use a set of Lee dies that cost about $23. I usually load lead bullets. I cast my own bullets from wheel weight lead. I use a Lee 2 cavity mold that cost about $20. If you have boxer primed ammo, save your brass.
  • Options
    thunderstick82thunderstick82 Member Posts: 221 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have no reloading equipment nor have I ever used reloading equipment. Where do I start?
  • Options
    temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Buy a copy of a good reloading manual to start. The Lyman manual is full of good info. Read it a couple of times to get an idea of what you need before you buy any equipment. Research who makes the bullets you want to use and then buy a copy of their reloading manual also. That should get you started in the right direction..........good luck...........[8D]
  • Options
    Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    For this particular cartridge, I'd just go to makarov.com and see what kind of deal they had. If you want to start reloading ammo, start with something easier than thoise tiny little semi-auto calibers. If you're looking to save money, you'll spend less mail-ordering ammo for the makarov than you will getting all set up to reload. Also, if you've never tried hand loading ammunition, and are determined to start, I'd recommend you spend some time with an experienced veteran before you try to do it yourself.
  • Options
    Gunslinger2005Gunslinger2005 Member Posts: 282 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd suggest ordering ammo a case at a time from a mail order place like Cheaper Than Dirt, Centerfire Systems, etc. It will cost about the same as 9x19mm, but even with shipping, it will cost less than buying locally, assuming you can find it. I'd also suggest buying Sellier & Bellot because it's good quality AND reloadable brass. Just try to keep all your empty brass for future reloading once you've accumulated enough.

I do reload a lot of .45 acp, 44 mag, etc., but I don't really like to reload small handgun rounds like the 9x18mm. It's just too hard for me to put little bullets in little cases, over and over again. For me, where I shoot, it's even difficult to find my empty 9x18 cases. They always fall base down into the grass, so I'm usually looking down into dark holes, which makes it easy to loose a lot of the empty cases.

I just hate to use steel case ammo, so I buy the reloadable, even if I do loose a lot of it.
  • Options
    D.S.COLED.S.COLE Member Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Col. plink is right about the aggravation of the tiny cases.
    reallistically if the makarov is all you want to load ,you will be a lot better off ordering it by the case.Mag-tech,S&B,Wolf,PMC,usually have bargains on case lots.your local gunshop can order it from his wholesaler along with his regular orders and the shipping shouldnt be a lot. I do this all the time for customers.
    if you have rifles and handguns and shoot a lot of different ammo then get into reloading ,getting into it for one caliber like the makarov isnt worth it.