In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

45 gr or 50 gr

duker33duker33 Member Posts: 64 ✭✭
hi i am looking for info would it be better to reload 45 or 50 gr bullets for my 222 sako it has a 1:14 twist let me know what everyone thinks thanks alot

Comments

• Options
    PJPJ Member Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1 in 14 is a pretty slow twist rate. I would opt to try the lighter weight bullet first. Just don't load a ton of them until you settle on a load.
    Pete
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    duker33,

50's are just about perfect pushed out at 3100 fps in a 1-14" twist. That is the best load I get with my dad's .222
  • Options
    poshposh Member Posts: 360 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've gotten the best accuracy out of my Rem. 700 heavy barrel rifle with flatbase 50 gr bullets ahead of 20gr of IMR 4198. I'm sorry I've had the gun for about 30 years and have forgotten the twist rate. I re-read the article that recommended this load in the 1969 NRA Handloader's Guide and you might be interested to know that one of their test rifles was a Sako with a 24" barrel that cranked out about 70 fps more than the other test rifle - a Renington 722 with a 26" barrel- because the Sako had a much tighter chamber. Another lesson that results may vary with the rifle. I tried 45 and 55gr bullets as well as some boat tail bullets a few years ago but wasn't satisfied with the results and stuck with the 50gr flatbases.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,976 ******
    edited November -1
    don't forget the 40 gn bullets also. I've got a rem. 700 that will not shoot 50's (2-3" groups @ 100 yrds) but loves 40gn v-max'es (1/2" groups).