In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

loading the 45

mussmuss Member Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
Alright, I finally after 5 years got all the reloading stuff back out of the boxes. Had to move three times in 5 years[:(!]

What powders are the best for loading the 45?

I will just be looking for target / plnking loads. And YES, I will check all the books before loading. Just looking for some good leads from which to start.

I will start with 230 round nose bullets, maybe some lead.

Thanks,

tom

Comments

• duckyducky Member Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've got a very strong preference towards Titegroup for my .45acp loads, but Clays and W231 are right up there in my opinion. Titegroup is fast burning, and the charge's position within the case does not affect performance.

Best wishes on your loading.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For target work I prefer WW231

For plinking 6.0 gr of Unique is great.
  • PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    I also like 231 for target loads as well as Bullseye. I load 4.6 gr of Bullseye for light target loads with a 230 gr lead bullets. For general use, I use 5.3 gr of 231 with a 230 rn lead or fmj. For hotter loads, I use AA5. A lot depends on what kind of 45 you are loading for. In 1911s, the 4.6 gr of B'eye is good with a 16 # recoil spring. When I load the 5.3 of 231, I use a 18# variable Wolff spring. If I load for my 45 Glock, I stick with jacketed bullets and a fairly warm load. I load 8.2 gr of AA5 with a 230 fmj bullet in Winchester brass.
  • mussmuss Member Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had been using ww231 for all my pistol reloading back in the good old days. I think I will start with 231 for the 45.

Thanks for the advise.

Tom
  • ContacFrontContacFront Member Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Grunt2Grunt2 Member Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    WW231 and RedDot have been in the bulk of my 45ACP loads. Haven't tried any of the newer powders. Both meter well..
    Retired LEO
    Combat Vet VN
    D.A.V Life Member
  • PJPJ Member Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I second (or third) Titegroup. Easy to meter and pretty clean burning.
    Pete
  • BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Anyone shooting Titegroup with 200g plated bullets? What load are you using? I prefer titegroup becasue it is so much cleaner and easier to meter but I am still fine tuning my load.
  • duckyducky Member Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    BHAVIN, copper plated? For a light target load I use 4.9gr Titegroup with 200gr Berry's Copper SWC. It chronos at ~779fps. I've had more fun with 5.1gr of Titegroup of the same bullet, but have yet to chronograph it.

I've found though that copper plated bullets run almost consistently 100fps slower than their lead counterparts, regardless of bullet weight and using the same charge. 4.9gr of Titegroup on a 200gr L-SWC chrono'd at 883fps, while 4.6gr of Titegroup on a 230gr Copper RN and 230gr LRN chronographed at 720fps and 822fps respectively.

Best wishes
  • BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks ducky! I have been using 5.1g Titegroup with West Coast plated 200g RN bullets with pretty good luck. I haven't had a chance to chrony them yet. This was the most accurate load through my Sig P220, Glock 21 & my Kimbers 1911's.
  • ryan_marineryan_marine Member Posts: 635
    edited November -1
    Greendot because I use it in my skater guns.

Ray
  • Grunt2Grunt2 Member Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looks like I'll have to try some "Titegroup"....and get up to speed..!
    Retired LEO
    Combat Vet VN
    D.A.V Life Member
  • 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i started loading with bullseye, way to dirty, then tried 231,ok not as dirty, but still dirty, then went to clays,very clean {not universal clays}, i recently tried titegroup, and it is the best yet, it is clean burning, and my standard deviation has never been higher than 9fps, recoil is reduced very much over any other powder at comparable velocity
  • sig232sig232 Member Posts: 8,018
    edited November -1
    Excuse my dumb question, but is Titegroup an alliant powder? I have always used Bullseye and W-231. Love those Bullseye smoke rings!

Sig
  • temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Titegroup is a Hodgdon powder...........
  • 41magdan41magdan Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've been shooting competetively for 15 years and I load my 45's with 5gr. of 700x. After testing this load hits the hardest and gave the tightest groups at 30ft. Accurate #5 was the cleanest and was a real close second in the accuracy department. I found it much easier to find the 700x in quantity, therefor less expensive to shoot. I shoot 230gr. jackets in a Para-Ordnance P-14. Hope the info helps.[:)]