In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

.308 twist rate to bullets

wynn24wynn24 Member Posts: 103 ✭✭
The savage 12bvss in the .308 has a twist rate of 1 in 10" what grains of bullets are going to stabilize in this barrel. Could I load the sierra 110 grain or is this to light. thanks ryan

Comments

• JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    you should be able to get up to around 180-190gr with that powder charge and still create the necessary RPM to stabilize them. That is of course depending on barrel length as well, which has an effect on MV, and therefore RPMs.

the 168-175gr pills are the ticket, but if it is a 110gr pill your chasing, I see no reason why it won't stabilize that quite well. Don't overlook the 150-155gr for a flat hunting bullet, and the 155gr a-max might very well be your last stop[;)]
  • temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've seen 1-10" twist 308s shoot 200gr bullets just fine, although they due better with a slower burning powder with that heavy a bullet. It should shoot 110-200gr ok. Faster burning powder usually shoots better with light bullets.........good luck.....[8D]
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wynn24,

That 1-10" twist will stabilize a bullet as long as the Berger 210gr. VLD. or about 1.4". Length is what determines stability more than weight. But, length increases with weight in a given caliber. If you use the velocity formula which is:
    expected velocity x .06 x d(sq.)/length I came up with a twist requirement of 1-9.96" for a 1.4" bullet, pushed out at 2450. First take 2450 x .06 x .308(sq)/1.4. -good luck experimenting with this.
  • ContacFrontContacFront Member Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mine and my buddy's loves the 175gn Sierra Match King behind 44-45gn of Varget, lit by a CCI BR2 Primer in a Federal Gold Medal case. 2.80 to 2.82 OAL, ours happen to like the 2.80 OAL. Some of the guys run them out to 2.82"

Load test at 200yards +

Mine shoots sub minute all the way out to 800yards confirmed. 900 and 1K, I am still lacking the skills to hold sub minute consistantly.

JustC,

I got a new piggy killer. Actually 2 on their way. [}:)]
  • needforspeedneedforspeed Member Posts: 48 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey Ryan this is Brendon, are you shooting with us this Sunday
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    my 168gr a-max load in win match brass is 45gr varget as well[:D]

so,..I know you have a camera Vu, where the pics man[:p]