In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

furture for wssm / rem saum

joesjoes Member Posts: 484 ✭✭✭
With winchester all but closing up shop, will the wssm still be produced- (only browning will be producing this anymore)? and what about rem saum, will this, what appearred to be dying caliber, get a second life? opinions please.

Comments

• Gunslinger2005Gunslinger2005 Member Posts: 282 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In addition to Browning, Cooper and Olympic (AR's) also produce rifles in WSSM's. This, however, probably won't be enough for the long term survival of the WSSM's. I think it's too bad. I have a Win M70 Coyote in 243 WSSM, and it's a fantastic performer. Not enough people tried the WSSM's because of all the BS that was put out about them.

The SAUM's were probably pretty good rounds too, but, in general, they were too little, too late, in the marketing wars against the WSM's. Every major rifle manufacturer produces rifles in WSM's. Even Remington produces rifles in WSM's. Ruger seems to have dropped about all of their SAUM's. Even Remington seems to be dropping a lot of their SAUM's, and adding WSM's.
  • D.S.COLED.S.COLE Member Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Savage,Browning,Remington,Howa,and almost all major mfgs. are chambering the wsm and wssm.I believe they will be around, almost all have stopped the Remington short mags,even Remington's catalog is very limited.
    I dont look for the remington version to make it.
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They won't soon fade,..the WSSM before the WSM if I were to guess.
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have to say it is a shame if they do go away. I have a 25 WSSM that I very much like. My only drawback with it, and that issue will be changed soon, is that the barrel is pretty light and won't hold good accuracy with heavy bullets.

Gunslinger2005,

I didn't run the gamut with a friend of mines .243WSSM but generally we found velocities only up to 100 fps better than .243/6mm Rem's. I have found that the 25 WSSM will get velocites right up with the published factory 25-06 loads. If you don't mind me asking what loads are you using for the .243 WSSM?

Something of interest with my 25WSSM is that the WSSM case only holds one more grain of water(56 vs. 55) than my .257 in STD Roberts configuration(Win and Fed +P). Yet it produces 200-300 fps more velocity.
  • Gunslinger2005Gunslinger2005 Member Posts: 282 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use my M70 Coyote 243 WSSM for a long range varmint rifle. I've done a little work on it, but with the factory 55 grain BST's, it will pretty consistently shoot 3/8" groups at 100 yards and 3/4" groups at 200 yards. I have my scope zeroed at 250 yards, which gives me a point blank range of 298 yards for a 3" kill zone (i.e. the bullet is never higher than 1 1/2" over or 1 1/2" lower than line of sight). Hold over at 400 yards is about 7" or 8" with this load.

The factory 55 grain BST's shoot flatter and have better resistance to wind drift than my Kimber 84M Varmint .22-250 with fairly warm 50 grain loads. I haven't chronographed the velocities with the 55 grain 243 WSSM's, but I think the claimed 4060 fps MV would have to be pretty close. One down side is that I haven't been able to work up a handload yet that matches the performance of the factory ammo.

Bolt lift is firm, but I don't think it's out of line for a high pressure cartridge. I've also never had any feeding problems of any kind. In all, I'm most pleased with it.