In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

duplex load?

Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
From a discussion at forum 2 on loading 9mm bullets into 38 cases:

quote:Originally posted by Chris8161
I used to load two 95 grain FMJ 9mm bullets into one 38 special case to make a duplex load. At 7 yards the two bullets impacted about 2" apart.

It seems like if this was a good idea, ammo companies would be marketing them.
I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly

Comments

• Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The military has used duplexed bullets, in everything from the 30-40Krag up to and including the 5.56NATO.
    What you have to realy watch out for is "duplex" loading, where 2 different powders are introduced to the case. Might be some 2400 under a load of blackpowder, or some bullseye under a heavy dose of slow smokeless.
  • Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    There have been several ammo companies that have marketed these kinds of load. I have loaded a similar load using cast .36" cast lead round balls. I put 2 in a 38 Spl case and 3 in a 357 magnum case. I crimp the top ball in the middle. I think I still have a few Remington factory loaded 38 Spl rounds with a 2 ball load.
  • Options
    mowartmowart Member Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Supposedly the favorite load of the Confederate Infantry was "Buck & Ball", a bore diameter ball accompanied by three or so buckshot. The idea was that they were bound to hit something.
  • Options
    Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ya just gotta love the information superhighway. I learn something almost every time I log on.

Thanks guys.
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • Options
    use enough gunuse enough gun Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I load my 45-120 with a 215 primer, 12 grains of 4759 over the primer, and 108 grains of FF black, topped off with a 596 grn. teflon patched cast bullet.
    As far as duplexing 2 different smokeless powders goes, I'm to young to die. Wouldn't touch it with your rifle and a long string on the trigger.[:D]Dave
  • Options
    mussmuss Member Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Years ago I had a 70 caliber black powder shotgun, We used to put a hand full of .36 caliber round balls in the barrel and then a tight patch over top. Made a large hole in anything in front of the barrel. Of course this was a smooth bore shotgun barrel.
  • Options
    Grunt2Grunt2 Member Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a very old "Ideal" loading manual that publishes "Duplex" loads using smokeless and black powder...Interesting read..
    Retired LEO
    Combat Vet VN
    D.A.V Life Member
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Grunt2
    Interesting. I have few of the old Ideal manuals.
    Which one, and what cal? I'd like to look it up.
    Thanks,