In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Hornet Velocities in .222 Cases

RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
Long story, but I'll try to keep it short. In .22 cal. I reload for .22 Hornet, .222 Rem. and .220 Swift.
I have standard loads in each and have had great luck with both Varget and 4198 in the .222 with 50 to 53 grain bullets.
I'd like to work up a Hornet equivalent load for the .222 using 45 grain Nosler round nosed bullets at about 2,700 fps.
I've a lot of manuals that tell me what might work, but I was wondering if anyone has had notable success with a similar project? Use will be groundhog at 150 yards and under where the added range of the standard .222 and the Swift, and their greater noise level, aren't needed.
Thanks.

Comments

• dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1
    The 222 should not be a problem. The 220 swift might be.

Of note, what twist are the rifles?

Or...hehehe.....why not buy a new rifle in 223 Rem? See the Savage thread! LOL!
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    RCrosby,

If I understand you right you are looking to download the .222 to .22 Hornet when you already have a Hornet? It seemed a little strange to me until I thought you might be providing a rifle to a shooting partner.

Anyhow, I have rarely downloaded but I did for my daughter when she was 4. I used 20 grs. of XMR2015 behind a 50 gr. pill. We figure that got us about 2800 fps. 22.5 grs yielded 3020. If you stayed with 20 grs. and stepped down to 45 gr's, you should be around the 2700 fps you're looking for. Although, that seems like a pretty hot load for a Hornet. Anyways, the reason I used XMR2015(AA BR2015 at the time) was because it was less position sensitive than other powders. My friend who got me to using it nearly had to pull a couple teeth to get me away from 4895. When I did the payoff was excellent. I shot the best group of my life with that rifle and the above named load (22.5 gr of XMR2015). -good luck
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    RCrosby,

The Speer and I think the Lyman manual have some reduced velocity load data for the .222 Remington involving the use of SR-4759 powder. You can also check with Alliant to get some recommendations for using Red Dot powder as a reduced velocity propellant.

Best.
  • RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all the responses.
    Should know, but will have to check on the twist. Figured it out once when I was considering 70 grain pills, but forgot what I learned and forgot the 70's in the .222 when I picked up the Swift.
    Why the download?
    Flexibility, mostly. Plan to do a lot of wandering around the hayfields, pine groves, etc. and have no desire to lug more than one rifle and a handgun. Would like, however, a nice load for the closer chucks and occasional squirrels.