In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Hodgdons Powder

n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
I just bought some Clays shotshell powder instead of the normal red dot that I use.. Seems it takes about 3 grains more to get the same velocity that I got from Red Dot. Who uses this powder and are you satisfied with the results?[?]

Comments

• Options
    Noah MercyNoah Mercy Member Posts: 43 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My wife and I shoot about ten pounds of Clays a year in our shotguns. It is exceedingly clean and the recoil is fairly soft. It is my favorite shotshell powder and it does quite well in several revolver cartridges as well.

(I'm assuming you're referring to Clays and not International Clays or Universal Clays.)

[:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Just regular clays powder, I to like a powder that I can use for both pistol and shotgun..[8D]
  • Options
    PSFD DONKEYPSFD DONKEY Member Posts: 771 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've been using Clays for a couple of years now and have been really happy with the results as Noah said it is really a clean burning powder.
  • Options
    ThrockmortonThrockmorton Member Posts: 814 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For thosw who are real penny pinchers..
    not on this board of course.[8D]
    read the fine print of a 'jug' of Clays.
    It's 14 oz., not a pound.
  • Options
    temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That suprises me Classic -- with some loads I use less for about the same velocity as Red Dot. Are you talking about shotshells or handgun loads ??
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Shotgun loads.. My Jug says 4 lbs on it..
  • Options
    temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't have my load data with me right now but if you tell me what payload ( 1 1/8oz, etc.),hulls,wads and primers you're using I can get back later if you need loads. -- I primarily load CLAYS for 12ga 2 3/4", 1 1/8oz and lighter target loads with Win. AA or Remington STS hulls, Remington Figure 8 or Win. WAA12 wads and Win. 209 primers. If you're loading heavier than 1 1/8oz you may be better off with Univeral Clays ( loads similar to Greendot ) or another powder. -- Like I said, I don't have my load data with me right now but one target load I like is: 12ga 2 3/4" Win. AA hull, WAA12 wad, Win.209 primer and 16.5 grs of CLAYS with 1 1/8oz lead. It recoils softly, patterns well and clocks a little over 1150fps. -- I used to have to load 17.5 to 18.0 grs of Red Dot with the same components to get similar velocity, and the Clays burns cleaner too. -- Best.....[8D]