In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.43 SPANISH DATA?

MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
wet drippy weekend so I did some loading for a rem. rolling block of mine. the only loads I can find are from cart. of the world using IMR 3031 & 4198. The rifle has a like new barrel but only shoots so/so, I've tried two different bullets (lyman & rapine) 370 gn. 20/1 lead tin. I also tried both ff black and 777 with terrible accuracy. and suggestions.

Comments

• Options
    shooter93shooter93 Member Posts: 322 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'll assume you have the right diameter bullet..if you haven't slugged the barrel then do so to make sure. I've always had exceptional luck with Unique in the old cartridges. It will no where near fill the case but it doesn't matter. I get sub inch groups out of a 45-70 with no fillers just becareful not to double charge. Most of these older rounds all fired about the same weight bullet at the same velocity. Use a starting load for a 45-70 TRAPDOOR rifle not the modern guns like a marlin or Ruger. It's a good place to start. The Rolling Block is a bit strobger than a Trapdoor but stay in that range. The older Lyman books list Unique loads.
  • Options
    MichibayMichibay Member Posts: 816 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi...just a couple of things...I read somewhere that .348 Win cases can be turned into 43 Spanish. Also...years ago my dad bought a Remington Rolling Block in BEAUTIFUL condition...he thought it was a 45-70...turned out to be a 43 Spanish...but there was no caliber marking on the gun! Does yours say 43 Spanish? I have read that this gun has had several 43 to 45 calibers it was made for.
  • Options
    richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    One source I have has 45-70 trapdoor loads reduced by 10%. RE7 would be the first powder I tried.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    thanks for the replies so far. the bullet dia. is .439" and that is very close to bore dia. . cases are burtram .43 spanish and a chamber case comfirms this (the guy I bought it from swore it was a .56/52 spencer r.f., it's sooo hard to check a roller to see if its c.f. or r.f.[:D]).