In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Dillon XL 650 accuracy ?s

KrisWKrisW Member Posts: 633 ✭✭✭✭
Does anyone have one of these? I know most people like to use a single stage rather than a progressive for rifle cartridges. How accurate are these machines? I forget what Dillon claims and I know they make good reloaders. But would they be suitable for realoading something I wanted to be pretty accurate? Maybe not a tack-driver but at least sub moa?

Comments

• brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i have one set up for 30-06.powder charge has not changed yet.i'll check the charge at random ,never had a problem.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello are you loading pistol or rifle.?? many of the top bulls-eye shooters use dillon 650s. IMHO they can make ammo as good if not better then single station presses.I can't say anything about rifle .
  • KrisWKrisW Member Posts: 633 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Right now I have a Lee 1000 for my pistol. Looking at the 650 when i eventually upgrade.
  • BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use a Dillon 550 and have had great performance with it. The 650 uses the same powder measure and they are quite accurate. The powder that you use will play a major roll in weather or not you have consistent powder throws. I load .223 with great accuracy using H335 powder but when I go to another caliber and use Varget I use a auto powder measure becasue it can be inconsistent. I am very particular so this may not have to be done. The 650 is very capable of producing ammo like you want but you may or may not have to change powder.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    By any measure sub-moa is a tack driver. A progressive press can produce wonderful generic ammo in great quantities. It may be sub-MOA in some rifles.

To tune ammo to your rifle you need to reload on single stage presses. After a sweet load is found a progressive can be used to load some. But, the sweet spot changes as the bore changes. it is a constant battle chasing the sweet spot. For you to keep sub-MOA limit it to single stage presses for rifle.