In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Need help reloading metallics

eastwood44mageastwood44mag Member Posts: 2,655 ✭✭
Well, I have found that I really enjoy shooting centerfire, and hand reloading sets just don't cut it. Consequently, I'm going to get a press (probably a Rock Chucker(sp?)), but I don't really know all of what I need to get started. I know I need dies, but beyond that I'm more than a little confused. I'm used to reloading shotshells, so this is all Greek to me. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello IMHO you need a good reloading manual with known loads to use .dont ask some one for a load. a scale to weigh powder charges, a powder measure, a primer flip tray is nice , you need a press , you need dies for the calibers you intend to load , you may need a shell holder head this may or may not come with the set of dies. then you need powder, cases,bullets & primers. every thing else is nice to have case trimmer, case cleaner, etc but you can reload without them.
  • mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    Well to start with, your spelling is just fine.
    A good loading manuel is the first thing you need to buy.

Get your self one, and settle down in a soft chair and read it very carefully front to back.
    The RCBS Rock Chucker is a very good press that will last you a lifetime, and more.
    RCBS by the way stands for Rock Chucker Bullet Swage........
    You can buy the Rock Chucker in kit form with most of the stuff you will need to start, and then as you progress you can add to it until your reloading poor like me and that Bpost guy with the POS 6mmBR Encore that will just barely keep 5 shots in 1/4 inch at a 100 yards shooting junk bullets[:D]
  • MosinNagantDiscipleMosinNagantDisciple Member Posts: 2,612
    edited November -1
    Ditch the rockchucker, it's way overpriced.

Get a Lee Classic Cast single stage, or a Classic Cast Turret press. Each is about half the price of similar RCBS presses, but with the same quality. The Single will run about $60-$65, the turret about $80.

I currently use a Lee classic cast single stage, its produced nothing but awesome results. I also use lee dies.

Metallic reloading is what I'd call a "ramping-up" of equipment. You start out with a few essential things, and then gradually add more and more specialized equipment. Starting off, I recommend you get:
    PressDie set (I recommend Lee)A set of calipers, digital or mechanicalA good quality scale (RCBS 505 or 1010)

Later (after you've got a bunch of twice-fired brass) you will want to add:
    Case trimmercase chamfererFlash hole cleaner/deburrerTumbler
  • B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1 vote for Mrbruce. 1 against Mr. Mosinnagant. Sorry, the Lee dies are OK but the rest of their stuff.......... Dont want to start a war here, but why not buy now what you will end up with later. Go with the Rockchucker supreme kit and you will be happy and content a lot longer. By the way, that's Rock Chuck Bullet Swage.
  • MosinNagantDiscipleMosinNagantDisciple Member Posts: 2,612
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by B17-P51
    1 vote for Mrbruce. 1 against Mr. Mosinnagant. Sorry, the Lee dies are OK but the rest of their stuff.......... Dont want to start a war here, but why not buy now what you will end up with later. Go with the Rockchucker supreme kit and you will be happy and content a lot longer. By the way, that's Rock Chuck Bullet Swage.

I dont trust other Lee presses, make no mistake. But the classic cast presses are indeed good. Try one out and you'll agree.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mrbruce
    will need to start, and then as you progress you can add to it until your reloading poor like me and that Bpost guy with the POS 6mmBR Encore that will just barely keep 5 shots in 1/4 inch at a 100 yards shooting junk bullets[:D]

That POS Encore ammo is loaded on a single stage press with a OLD RCBS 505 scale using Redding dies...not the high dollar custom stuff a rich guy like MRBRUCE has. [:D][:D][;)]

If you look at Gander Mountain or Cabelas they have a complete RCBS kit for reloading, including the book. It is a good value.

You may find the kit available here on the GB auction site too. Flea-bay might be a place of last resort to get the whole kit at a good price.
  • needforspeedneedforspeed Member Posts: 48 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    RCBS would be my choice for reloading equipment. Lee does not impress me with there presses.
  • juddroyjuddroy Member Posts: 204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    for a single stage why not spend the money and get a Forster