In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Dillon 550 spilling powder?

OutlawsOutlaws Member Posts: 83 ✭✭
Its only like 5-6 little pieces, but that isn't right.

It happens on the way out. It seems to extend fully open when I bring it up. It should all fall into the cartridge.

I am using IMR 4350. that isn't the stuff that clogs the case is it?

Comments

• Options
    ThrockmortonThrockmorton Member Posts: 814 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    sounds like it's 'bridging' in the neck of the case.Try tapping the measure or case for a second before withdrawing the case.
  • Options
    OregunnerOregunner Member Posts: 129 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    <I am using IMR 4350. that isn't the stuff that clogs the case is it?>

It's one of them. Tapping will certainly help, but I don't use it in my progressives. At best it's a nuisance & at worst it could be dangerous. One of those powder charge checkers might help warn you of a light or heavy load. I don't have one so I don't know. You might try H-4831SC, I've had good luck with it in my 550B & it's a slower large case powder like 4350.
  • Options
    temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    H414 powder is almost the same burn rate as 4350 and its a fine ball powder which would meter better in a progressive ( although it's a little more temp. sensitive in my experience ). Might be worth a try...........
  • Options
    OutlawsOutlaws Member Posts: 83 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    ok thanks everyone.

I think that is waht it is. When I bring it down real slow it is a lot better. I just bought the powder because it was listed as one of the better acuracy ones for the bullets I wanted to use at a low powder charge (Hornady 65gr V-Max) for my .243.

Live and learn I guess.

Also, I know it really depends on the firearm, but interms of bullet seating, is +/- .003" reasonable for a tolerance? I seem to get a variation depending on how quick I close my dial caliper.