In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Shot handloads for the first time

KrisWKrisW Member Posts: 633 ✭✭✭✭
I was sighting in a .22-250 of mine yesterday with some remington express cartridges. For whatever reason i couldnt get the rifle to group less than about 2" at 100yds. The guy i was shooting with gave me some of his handloads and let me try them. Man what a difference. Could have covered them with a dime and they were dead on the bulls-eye. Just need to clean the barrel and go back and shoot some more. And then invest in a single stage reloader.

Comments

• Options
    temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hope you know what you're getting into [:D][:D] -- All kidding aside, it's a great hobby/pastime with alot of cost savings and self satisfaction to be had. The first time you shoot a great group or drop a game/varmit animal with your own handloads you'll be hooked for life..........good luck..........[^]
  • Options
    temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OOPS -- Hit the wrong button...[8D]
  • Options
    B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Even though it worked out OK this time, please try to resist the urge to shoot another persons handloads.( for their gun) The results can be very expensive, if you survive.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by B17-P51
    Even though it worked out OK this time, please try to resist the urge to shoot another persons handloads.( for their gun) The results can be very expensive, if you survive.
    Why is this? The cases werent loaded to the max, and I would assume that the headspace(or whatever its called) would be the same on his browning and the mauser action on mine. But then again I know what happens when you assume. I am not trying to be rude or anything i am simply curious as to why this is.
  • Options
    Bill CostikBill Costik Member Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by KrisW
    quote:Originally posted by B17-P51
    Why is this? The cases werent loaded to the max, and I would assume that the headspace(or whatever its called) would be the same on his browning and the mauser action on mine. But then again I know what happens when you assume. I am not trying to be rude or anything i am simply curious as to why this is.

Differences in the steel/receives. His rounds may be loaded to max which could be perfectly safe for his gun, but your gun may not be able to take the stress and blow up in your face.

Also, a lot fo people won't trust anyone but themselves with handloads. I know I don't.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I thought it may have been something like that Bill. But i do trust him, I have known him for a while and he has been reloading for 10 years or so.
  • Options
    juddroyjuddroy Member Posts: 204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My rifle loads are built specifically to my guns.I as many others seat that bullet out to where it just touches the lands(not my hunting loads seated .020 off).Maybe he just making rounds to spec.Iwouldn't bet my life or my gun's life on it.
  • Options
    mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 15,467 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    kinda like shootin ordnance made by the lowest bidder...[8D]