In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Hardball load

dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
My firend is trying to talk me into hardball shooting. I know there are quite a few restrictions on the guns, and have a rule book on the gun. However, I do not know about the ammo. What are the rules on ammo. Can you use plated, cast, or do the bullets have to be jacketed? How about bullet weight? Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello If you are talking about D.C.M. / C.M.P. matches Hardball must be 230 grain jacketed "roundnose" ammo . the match is shot slow fire at 50 yards and timed and rapid fire is 25 yards I have made the presidents 100 10 times went DINST. in 1985. and have been Captain of winning hardball team at Camp Perry 1992-2002-2005. This is not to brag but to let you know my opinion is from 40 + years of shooting Ball . In testing with a Ransom Rest it is very hard to NEAR impossible to get sub 3 inch groups at 50 yards unless you push the bullet to 820 FPS or more. You can down load for 25 yard and it will not cost you many points . We used to be issured ammo on the line but when Bill Clinton stoped the funding of the D.C.M. you were allowed to load your own.
  • Options
    shooter93shooter93 Member Posts: 322 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Listen to perryshooter. I don't shoot formal bullseye but I've built a number of match guns for experments. It was always hard to convice some one of the velocity needed. I always said if you're shooting hardball then shoot for 850fps. Much below that and accuracy suffers quite a bit. Like him..this isn't a guess...it's thousands of rounds through a Ransom Rest.
  • Options
    dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys. I will have to try to find some reasonable priced jacketed bullets. I have been shooting Rainer's so far with great results.