In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Reloading Data 356TSW

I am not able to locate reloading data for my 356TSW, recently acquired, in any of my new or old manuals. Mfg have not been very helpful in directing me to published data for this round. Any help will be appreciated.

Comments

• mpolansmpolans Member Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 356TSW was designed as a way to get around a USPSA competition rule prohibiting loading 9x19 to "major" power factor which was [(bullet weight x velocity)/1000 => 175]. Note that this would be a seriously hot round, and back in the days of this rule (late 1980s to mid 1990s), we didn't have some of the wonder powders like we do now (especially Vihta Vuori 3n37, 3n38, etc.). So, the folks shooting for Team S&W designed a cartridge that was basically like a 9x19, but a little bit longer (probably around 9x21.5 or 9x22) and called it the 356TSW.

Assuming you have an uncompensated gun that you're not planning on shooting in USPSA/IPSC competition, just use load data for 9x19 and you'll be safe.
    Most loads suitable for USPSA/IPSC competition will probably not be published because they tend to be on the edge, or exceed industry specs.
  • sig232sig232 Member Posts: 8,018
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the information. I wondered why they would need this round when there are so many similar sized rounds available. We got the 9x21, 38 super, 9 mm, and a few others.

Sig232