In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

38 super resized too fit in a 357

ddhotbotddhotbot Member Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭✭✭
i was given 2000 rds of 38 super reloads.problem is i dont have a pistol in that caliber.i ran 6 rounds through my 357 carbide resizing dies and now they drop right in my 686.since the 38 super is a semi rimmed cart can you see any problem shooting them in my 686? i dont care if the brass is ruined in the process.thanks

Comments

• Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Interesting question. The smart answer would be, don't do it. Find someone who needs .38 Super Ammo and swap or sell.
    Still, if it were me, and since I have several .357's, I'd load 'er up, tie it to big tree with a long string on the trigger, get behind another big tree, and pull the string! Your bullets should be a couple thousanths less than the .357 so, assuming the rim held the case o.k. and went off, I wouldn't think that pressure would be a problem. I reload .355's in my .38's all the time and they work quite well. Play it safe though, wait for some more answers and err on the side of caution. Good luck
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Interesting question. The smart answer would be, don't do it. Find someone who needs .38 Super Ammo and swap or sell.
    Still, if it were me, and since I have several .357's, I'd load 'er up, tie it to big tree with a long string on the trigger, get behind another big tree, and pull the string! Your bullets should be a couple thousanths less than the .357 so, assuming the rim held the case o.k. and went off, I wouldn't think that pressure would be a problem. I reload .355's in my .38's all the time and they work quite well. Play it safe though, wait for some more answers and err on the side of caution. Good luck
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    dd,
    Sorry, scratch all that other stuff I said. It's late. Rereading your message I noted that this ammo is reloads. Just me, but I won't shoot anyone else's reloads and I won't reload for anyone else. Too much can go wrong (that may or may not be the fault of the ammo) but it can put you in a bad place you don't want to go.
    Pull the bullets if you can, keep and reload them for casual plinking and give away the brass.
  • Options
    peabopeabo Member Posts: 3,098
    edited November -1
    That is surely a shame. I'm sure there is someone who would love to have that 38 Super brass. As said earlier, find someone to trade with.

Thanks---Peabo
  • Options
    ballous dadballous dad Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    [:)].38 Supers shoot nicely in my old Astra 400. They won't work in a Star Super, however.
  • Options
    ddhotbotddhotbot Member Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    looks like i need too find someone who could use this ammo.thanks guys don
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i never shoot anyone else's reloads, but concerning the 38 super .357 magnum, they can be fired from a .357 revolver, i know guys who have had the cylinders cut for moon clips, for the purpose of shooting .38 super

.357= .358
    .38 super=.356

this place here does a fantastic job

http://tkcustom.com/new.htm
  • Options
    shootlowshootlow Member Posts: 5,425
    edited November -1
    my .38 super is .355
  • Options
    sig232sig232 Member Posts: 8,018
    edited November -1
    Hey, I got a ton of Corbon 356TSW. You want to try to drop some of these into your 357 mag also. Maybe hang behind that big tree with the long string!

Sig
  • Options
    mpolansmpolans Member Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do you know what the load is in the .38 super ammo you received? If you don't, I wouldn't shoot it.

That said, .38 super can normally be fired in a .357 magnum. BUT NOT A GUN DESIGNED FOR .38 SPECIAL ONLY!!! A lot of .38 super ammo, especially stuff loaded by IPSC shooters for competition is loaded to very high pressures ( about .357 mag level). Shooting that kind of stuff in a gun designed for lower pressure .38 special might result in spontaneous unintended disassembly of your firearm.
  • Options
    fire for effectfire for effect Member Posts: 121 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    buy yourself aa .38 Super and have a ball!!!!!