In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Moly bullets

Reddot47Reddot47 Member Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭✭✭
I bought 1000 9mm 124 gr cast moly bullets from Masterblasters to shoot through my Keltec Sub2000. When I told a friend of mine that I had, she told me that I would ruin my barrel with lead fouling. Two questions:

How does one ruin a barrel using moly cast bullets?

What can I do to ensure I don't ruin my barrel other than
not shooting them at all?

Comments

• Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Some believe that lead or moly will 'build up' in the barrel and allow rust to form between the layer and barrel steel.

Shooting lead in a barrel "Ruining" it is a laugh....they are easier on barrel steel then jacketed by a factor of bunches..
    HOWEVER...lead MUST be removed fairly often..because it WILL build up in the rifling.
    Shoot the stuff...just clean it out.
  • Options
    Reddot47Reddot47 Member Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What is the best way of getting the lead/moly out?
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    "What is the best way of getting the lead/moly out?"... kroil and a bronze brush.
  • Options
    shooter93shooter93 Member Posts: 322 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The moly and lead itself won't hurt the barrel, if the moly holding water theory is correct that might rust it. JB bore cleaner also removes moly completely very easily. I moly treated and shot thousnads upon thousands of bullets when the technology was in it's infancy. For somethings it works well other claims were just that claims. I never saw any harm and some people still use it and moly lubes.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Moly bullets will not cause any damage to your barrel, as a matter of fact it reduces wear according to Lapua. The results of that test are available at www.6br.com . Target shooters burn Moly bullets up by the tens of millions in VERY expensive match grade barrels. Most competitive shooters will shoot more in a year than many people do in a life time. If moly caused problems they simply would not use it.
  • Options
    OregunnerOregunner Member Posts: 129 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    <What is the best way of getting the lead/moly out?>

Shooting a few jacketed bullets will get rid of a lot of it, sometimes almost all of it. Then clean it.
  • Options
    One shotOne shot Member Posts: 1,027
    edited November -1
    If it worries you don't use em. What did we all do in the days before molly coated anything?
  • Options
    fire for effectfire for effect Member Posts: 121 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Last I heard was that moly bullets were falling into disfavor due to the hydroscopic nature of the Moly. IN some of the sharp chooter forums and sniper forums I have seen the warnming has gone around to stay away from them.